Blanket Weed

davidP

Got this tip from a proffessional pond keeper friend of mine last year.

Gave it a try .. and it worked for me.

Your local chemist will sell you a small bottle of POTTASSIUM POMANGANATE for less that £1.

This comes in the form of little blue crystals.

Find and empty quart bottle and put in 1 TEASPOONFULL of the crystals .. no more !

Fill up the bottle with water, a give a good shake.

You now have a bottle of purple water.

My pond is approx 14ft X 10ft X 6ft deep.

I pour 1/3rd of the bottle into my waterfall to make sure it is well mixed throughout the pond.

You pond will have a pinkish tinge for about 3 days .. then it will clear.

Within 7 days all the blanketweed will turn brown and die. Looks a bit messy .. but your filter should clean it up.

There is no damage to fish, or other plantlife.

Do not overdose !!!

Like I said .. it works for me.

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Pete ..

I am informed by a chemist friend of mine that PP is a mild disinfectant that has been used for the last 200 years in general medicine.

I don't know the results of overdosing.. I suggest that you start small and gradually increase until you get a result.

The Older I get .. The better I was.

I have an unfiltered pond that suffered badly with blanket weed for 4 years , tried alsorts including barley straw . When I no longer kept topping it up with tap water , the problem ended. After the first flush of algea in spring it remains crystal clear all summer. The ponds is very lightly stocked , and the fish breed each spring. They are not fed from the first hard frosts until late March and then only with worms and Daphne from the local park pond.

I've bought a Cyprio Magn-it and some algae pads to put in the filter. Let's hope the pond unfreezes enough to put them in this weekend.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

craig mason:

you could also try adding a couple of grass carp as they are supposed to eat blanket weed

That's a good idea :)

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.