Weed (duck ?) problems

RobStubbs

I tend to keep a variety of fish in the pond and it has always had quite a lot of canadian pond weed (through choice). Last year some duck weed (I think) appeared and it has since covered the surface of the pond. The weed is essentially tiny single leaves with individual roots, that just float around. I have cleared areas of the pond of it which is a pain as the 1000's of tadpoles like it as well.

My question is what can I do ? Is it possible to treat it and if so when is best (I assume after the tadpoles have become frogs ?).

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

Duck weed (elodea) will only flourish in a still pool. If you can put a pond pump in there which will circulate the water and set up a current it will die off. There are chemicals you can use I think but this method is the least harmfull.

Sorry Chris, I must disagree.

Duckweed thrives very well in ponds that have a flowing current, I know because I have such a pond & I was inundated with the bloody stuff!! :mad:

Scooping it out didn't work due to it's incredibly fast growth when the temps come up.

The only solution I found was to wait till Winter, then whilst the pond was clear due to lillies etc dying back, get in there & physically get rid of every last bit.

It's a chore, but crossed fingers, no sign of it yet :D

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.