New to Fish Keeping

BobH

Recently I moved into a house in the London area which has a small garden pond.

Over the last month the 19 assorted goldfish have got me fasinated.

I was wondering how much it would cost to build a basic pond suitable for Koi with all the Pumps/filters etc.

Can it be done for under £2000.00 ? and make a decent Garden feature which will enhance the Garden and property.

Bob

Guest Ferret1959

If you are willing to spend that sort of money I'm sure you can get sorted with a very good set up.

I'd say most of the hard work is labour.

You need to make your mind up as to what sort of pond you want.

Walled pond, basic display pond(for displaying the fish) or a natural pond with loads of vegetation.

Do a search on Google Images to get some idea of what you want.

Thanks Dave,

I want to make a pond that will be the main feature of the garden.

A fairly formal pond with some sort of fountain and waterfallfrom a higher holding pond.

I wondered if I could get away with marine plywood surround, painted and thick double layer of 1mm liner stuck to the side of the construction.

The garden has a 1.5metre fall across the slope and I could try a cut and fill construction method.

I saw a Formal pond at Horton Fishery made by the above method--is this a normal construction method for Koi Ponds?

Bob

you want to try this site mate its got all the info you will need

pond building

[ 21. November 2004, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: butiaboy ]

my favourite fishing spot

2008_0801craig0051.jpg

chesterfield canal chesterfield

Bob,

Most (if not all) of what you want can be bought off the shely in pre-formed plastic. This sounds awful, but actually looks and works well!

You could do it for well under £500, I should think.

£2000, if you were doing it yourself, would include a swimming pool :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hi ya Bob, there is no need whatso ever to spend that amount of money on a pond m8, but if thats what you wanna spend then who are we to change your mind.

At my old house i built a pond 25ft x 18ft, it had margins in it and had a deep point of around 6 ft. It had pumps fountains and uv filters it had it all.

We also completely landscaped the back garden, paved it and all for well under a grand.

When building a pond always get your filtration right, you can never have enough, there are plenty of products out there now to help you keep a clean healthy pond.

A UV filters i found is a must if you want pukka water clarity.

I also used to have up to 3 quaters of the pond covered in lily and weed as this will help the natural processes.

If you are going to keep Koi then this info is probably a complete waste of time to you lol

Regards Clint

[ 04. December 2004, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Clint ]