XC 90

Vagabond

Mally:

My mum and dad have jus bought a volvo 840 all wheel drive 2.5 litre turbo, and i would reckon its got to be the perfect fishing car! And besides that its bloody quick!

At 16 MPG it aught to be.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/19215.shtml

The BMW AWD is nice too!

Bring back the Renault 4 4X4!

[ 27. April 2003, 07:31 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's a 'strod'?

Paul

Tinca61:

What's a 'strod'?

Well, as I said - an idleback. Its a Y-shaped piece of wood you use to prop your carp rod on. Before Dick Walker modernised fishing practice, I used to use just one for each rod. Now I am all trendy and use two per rod, with the rear one higher so that the rod tip is close to the water

If you want to "look the business" you can arrange your strods so your rods are parallel

They save the expense of rod pods, and also save you having to carry heavy stainless steel mini-scaffolding about, because you can hide your strods in a bush near your favourite swim and there they are ready for next time. :cool: :cool:

When they eventually rot, or someone pinches them, why, out with your trusty Scout knife and cut new ones!

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I am not driving on public roads.

If I need to move around the farm where I work/fish I use an old Peugeot Diesel, that has no electrics so it will got through any amount of water and snow and mud because it is so light. It acclerates really well too, because it is so light!

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

Apache:

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I am not driving on public roads.

If I need to move around the farm where I work/fish I use an old Peugeot Diesel, that has no electrics so it will got through any amount of water and snow and mud because it is so light. It acclerates really well too, because it is so light!

Geez,

Considering there's soo many 4x4, off-road, all-terain, multi-purpose, paris-dakar, nuclear survival machines on the roads today which are doing nothing more than venturing outback for supplies at the local Sainsburys :rolleyes: ....

...it would make a refreshing change to have an real off-roader on the road for once.

Go for it !

.....tho' beware the neighbourhood watch rally club :rolleyes: ..

..tho'at the first sight of mud.......

Liam

[ 29. April 2003, 05:30 AM: Message edited by: loonyl ]

Vagabond:

Have just been to look at the new Volvo XC 90 AWD. :cool:

Looks a serious fishing motor to me, so I'm thinking of trading in my V70 AWD for one. Fourteen month waiting list though :(:(

...But...It's still a Volvo!!!

IMHO, A serious fishing motor is a transit van .

& yup, you can still keep the lights on all-day, if you wish :P

Liam

[ 29. April 2003, 05:43 AM: Message edited by: loonyl ]

Excalibur:

Before the mods get to this, the previous reply was supposed to be humorous, not malicious! :D

Me tooo!

btw, b4 the mods eventually get to this..

this isn't a personal attack on Vagabond,

...it's for all Volvo owners, everywhere. *spit* :)

HTH

Liam

loonyl:

.But...It's still a Volvo!!!

IMHO, A serious fishing motor is a transit van .

Well, I own a transit van too, and its got a campervan built on the chassis. Excellent for extended fishing trips all over Britain and Europe, including places some 4 x 4 owners would wimp out of.

However, my present Volvo, like my previous two Volvos will take me to off-road places even the transit would never manage.

My three successive Volvos have between them knocked up over half a million miles, have taken me as far east as Istanbul, as far west as Slea Head (Kerry), as far south as Andalusia, farther north than the entire mainland of Russia, as high as 11,000 ft above sea level, and even 350 ft below sea level (Vardo tunnel, Norway)

Only once has a Volvo let me down (see "Death of a fishing wagon" last year) in hundreds of fishing trips. Comfortable, reliable, easy to drive on and off road, plenty of room for fishing gear, and pretty solid if some prat of a boy racer collides with your car.

So I see no logic in your dislike of Volvos and their owners - it wouldn't have anything to do with the politics of envy, would it ?

No, surely not, politics are banned on this forum are they not?

[ 29. April 2003, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

quote:

So I see no logic in your dislike of Volvos and their owners - it wouldn't have anything to do with the politics of envy, would it ?

People used to say these things in the 80's...long since discredited. They're not my cup of tea but nonetheless are impressively engineered vehicles.

Paul

I have to say Im not too in love with the Volvo. I will go for it Loonyl, but its got a flat battery at the moment so I hae to park it on a ramp whenever I stop it.

[ 29. April 2003, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Apache ]

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts