XC 90

Vagabond

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

H Jampton:

Vagabond

With Loony1's claimed mental problems, most of us have appeared to take the attitude that his posts are no longer worth reacting to.

Whilst Jampson claims to have summarised the attitude of all of the posters on AN by using the apparent "majority of 'us'".

I prefer to take the opinion that everyone here makes up their own mind whether to reply or not to individual posts.

If the apparent 'us' used isn't merely a Jampston opinion based on no facts, I would like to see how many of the lurkers & posters here were questioned.

Of course, there could be Jamspons 'us' and 'the rest' of us, but then I think it's pretty much irrelevant what that Jampston & Jampston's 'us' thinks.

Liam

Vagabond:

Vagabond:

.But...It's still a Volvo!!!

IMHO, A serious fishing motor is a transit van .

Well, I own a transit van too, and its got a campervan built on the chassis. Excellent for extended fishing trips all over Britain and Europe, including places some 4 x 4 owners would wimp out of.

However, my present Volvo, like my previous two Volvos will take me to off-road places even the transit would never manage.

My three successive Volvos have between them knocked up over half a million miles, have taken me as far east as Istanbul, as far west as Slea Head (Kerry), as far south as Andalusia, farther north than the entire mainland of Russia, as high as 11,000 ft above sea level, and even 350 ft below sea level (Vardo tunnel, Norway)

Only once has a Volvo let me down (see "Death of a fishing wagon" last year) in hundreds of fishing trips. Comfortable, reliable, easy to drive on and off road, plenty of room for fishing gear, and pretty solid if some prat of a boy racer collides with your car.

So I see no logic in your dislike of Volvos and their owners - it wouldn't have anything to do with the politics of envy, would it ?

No, surely not, politics are banned on this forum are they not?

Outa interest what transit chassis is that built on, coz after reading motor home mags, I used a long wheel based talbot for mine.

Nothing to do with jealously at all,

maybe a misinfored opinion of mine,

but I'll def note your experience of them.

What my opinion is based on,

is coz Volvo owners are driving basically driving tanks so they don't have to be too aware of other road users, coz in most crashes they are likely to come out unscathed

Like driving without a seat-belt makes you more aware, or driving a motorbike.

Liam

Well I'm thinking of buying that 4WD Bentley Estate advertised in one of my automobile periodicals (I don't read anything as common as a car mag!), so yah boo, sucks to you :D:D:D

I am happy to say that the car exists, unfortunately my money doesn't

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

John S:

Well I'm thinking of buying that 4WD Bentley Estate advertised in one of my automobile periodicals (I don't read anything as common as a car mag!), so yah boo, sucks to you :D:D:D

I am happy to say that the car exists, unfortunately my money doesn't :(

LOL,

automobile peridocals are when sellars in car mags can't sell their heap, so add £3k to it and avdertise there.

Kinda like tents and bivvys,

.....but I'm saying nothing contravention tonite, coz I'm on my best behaviour :)

Liam

loonyl:

1/ Outa interest what transit chassis is that built on, coz after reading motor home mags, I used a long wheel based talbot for mine.

2/Nothing to do with jealously at all,

3/What my opinion is based on,

is coz Volvo owners are driving basically driving tanks so they don't have to be too aware of other road users, coz in most crashes they are likely to come out unscathed

Liam

1/ Normal length Transit (it says L 3.2 in the handbook if that means anything) Total length of camper is 17' 10" which not only keeps the cost down on car ferries, but means that in places like Oban I can park in a normal car space on the jetty and get straight onto a charter boat without yomping a long distance with about 70 lb of heavy skate-fishing gear.

2/ There is plenty of envy kicking about in this "caring society" of ours - I'm very glad to hear it isn't part of this particular equation

3/ Well, that's one of the plusses of Volvos - in over fifty years of driving (and I started with a motorcycle too) I've never had the front of my vehicle damaged - ie I'VE not hit anything.

However, I've been hit three times from behind (twice whilst waiting at red traffic lights) and once on the side by a prat who drove across a "give way" restriction (all these before I owned a Volvo).

Have never (touch wood) been involved in an accident with either Volvo or Transit.

As for Volvo drivers being "less aware" , insurance actuaries seem to think the opposite is the case. I can get a hefty discount by insuring through my Volvo dealer, and the blurb says this is because Volvo drivers in general are more careful drivers.

BTW Norma and I test drove the XC 90 (5D version) yesterday. Very impressive. Better turning circle than the V70 AWD and of couse more ground clearance.. Very responsive steering, good roadholding. Very comfortable and roomy inside with bags of space for tackle. The only thing we didn't like was the parking brake. Not a handbrake but a long plastic lever that you operate with your left foot (its high, so you need to bring your knee nearly up to your left ear to reach it :D:D ) its released by a catch on the dash - obviously you would get used to it, but my initial reaction was that it was flimsy, and smacked of being too clever by half.

As a fishing tool the XC 90 is an improvement on my V70, but I'm not sure if it enough of an improvement to justify the extra cost. If I got serious about char and ferox fishing and wanted to tow my own boat, then yes, I might go for it - but at the moment the decision is on hold.

[ 01. May 2003, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...