women and fishing

sheila

hi all i was just wondering why there arent more women who fish, its a great relaxing sport, and much better than doing the housework i would be interested to here your views...........sheila :P

Theres Nurse Judy and Lynn, another two regular names that spring to mind plus theres been a number of new women members join lately

Think fishing is still seen or percieved as a male thing when really it does'nt matter which sex you are when it comes to fishing but it would seem that when women do fish, they tend to be better anglers or at least seem to be better at catching fish

I suspect that in part, it's down to facilities. For blokes, the world is a toilet. for the ladies, not so and leaving a couple of grands worth of kit on the bank to find somewhere discrete is difficult - things are of course different on commercial waters.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I just don’t think women in general have hobbies. They like to chat and have a few nights out etc. Fishing is just another sport and many women see it as boys with their toys and i see my mrs chatting on the phone for 3 hours.

Women like to chat and in the main it is probably 80% of women’s hobby. It’s not fishing it’s hobbies in general

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I just don’t think women in general have hobbies. They like to chat and have a few nights out etc. Fishing is just another sport and many women see it as boys with their toys and i see my mrs chatting on the phone for 3 hours.

Women like to chat and in the main it is probably 80% of women’s hobby. It’s not fishing it’s hobbies in general

dont agree there mate;

women in general have lots of hobbies; my missus for instance does cross stitch, card making, and volunteers for the local cats protection.

i dont think youll go far saying they dont have hobbies :)

but if she is an exemplar then her thoughts on fishing are thus:

boring, cold and miserable and in the end you have to grab a slimy wet fish thats just !!YUCK!!!

and you come home smelling of damp, hallibut pellets and fish slime...with a hint of dog poo if youve not watched where your walking.

i think thats the real reason..squeemishness and general girliness.

which isnt an insult..its just that i dont think alot of women find the thoughts of all the fish and suchlike attractive. women tend to be clean and lovely and soft and cuddly....the application of a coating of fish slime, hallibut odour and damp conditions isnt what they consider a pleasurable thing to be doing :)

plus: im glad she doesnt come fishing :) occasionally she will come down on a sunny evening and sit there for an hour or so..which is lovely..really nice....but overall fishing is my time! my peace and quiet escape from the missus!! and long may it remain so :D

Edited by kirisute

dont agree there mate;

women in general have lots of hobbies; my missus for instance does cross stitch, card making, and volunteers for the local cats protection.

i dont think youll go far saying they dont have hobbies :)

but if she is an exemplar then her thoughts on fishing are thus:

boring, cold and miserable and in the end you have to grab a slimy wet fish thats just !!YUCK!!!

and you come home smelling of damp, hallibut pellets and fish slime...with a hint of dog poo if youve not watched where your walking.

i think thats the real reason..squeemishness and general girliness.

which isnt an insult..its just that i dont think alot of women find the thoughts of all the fish and suchlike attractive. women tend to be clean and lovely and soft and cuddly....the application of a coating of fish slime, hallibut odour and damp conditions isnt what they consider a pleasurable thing to be doing :)

plus: im glad she doesnt come fishing :) occasionally she will come down on a sunny evening and sit there for an hour or so..which is lovely..really nice....but overall fishing is my time! my peace and quiet escape from the missus!! and long may it remain so :D

You can always pick out many example of women who do have hobbies but in general i still say they really don't have them. that is not a sexist remark i am just being honest on my opinion. When flying birds my Mrs will break a rabbits neck or skin them, she will come along and sun bathe when i am fishing . Maybe a few more youngsters may play netball or something but in general they just don't. I can't think pne of her many many friends who do have one. They enjoy other womens company or their children...But they are all still happy . :D

If you include cooking and similar hobbies then OK but in 'General' they just don't compared to us men.

Edited by Dave H

You can always pick out many example of women who do have hobbies but in general i still say they really don't have them. that is not a sexist remark i am just being honest on my opinion. When flying birds my Mrs will break a rabbits neck or skin them, she will come along and sun bathe when i am fishing . Maybe a few more youngsters may play netball or something but in general they just don't. I can't think pne of her many many friends who do have one. They enjoy other womens company or their children...But they are all still happy . :D

If you include cooking and similar hobbies then OK but in 'General' they just don't compared to us men.

i think its just the definition of hobbies that changes between sexes...maybe chatting on the phone or standing for an hour in tescos talking crap is a hobby?? :D

i think its just the definition of hobbies that changes between sexes...maybe chatting on the phone or standing for an hour in tescos talking crap is a hobby?? :D

I think it is to many but please don't think i am sexist as i am far from it but you are right but they are more than happy to do it. It drives me nuts and its boring but many women think sitting on a bank all day waiting is boring too so fair enough.

Please don't think i am patronising you Shiela as i apologise if you think i am i really wish there was more women for you. Are their any clubs you might as you might find some in there. Now maybe this is a long shot but is their a womans fishing forum . If not i am more than happy to give you a template to start your own and i suspect it would be popular. :)

I think it is to many but please don't think i am sexist as i am far from it but you are right but they are more than happy to do it. It drives me nuts and its boring but many women think sitting on a bank all day waiting is boring too so fair enough.

Please don't think i am patronising you Shiela as i apologise if you think i am i really wish there was more women for you. Are their any clubs you might as you might find some in there. Now maybe this is a long shot but is their a womans fishing forum . If not i am more than happy to give you a template to start your own and i suspect it would be popular. :)

I have surfed a bit for you but can only really see Bass fishing.

I am sure you enjoy just mixing in the general forum but maybe ask Elton for a ladies section not to permenantly stay in there but just as maybe making arrangements or taking the micky out of how crappy us men are at it :D

Just a suggestion :D

My wife's hobbies amount to playing the flute with a local orchestra and the saxophone with a local symphonic wind band. She dropped playing sax for the jazz band and clarinet with another wind band when she started the Open University music degree she's doing in her spare time, but she still rehearses with the saxophone choir and a sax quartet because they only rehearse at weekends once a month or so. She's also in the gym three or four nights a week and getting really into running. She's never fancied coarse fishing, but she likes the look of fly tying and is up for having a go at fly fishing (no grubs or worms involved). :D

Edited by Steve Walker