Mini Success!

J.K

Decided I wanted to go and catch a Zander and to my surprise I managed to actually catch one on my first outing, well chuffed :D

Caught using a 3inch white Kopyto on a 5g jighead

ZanderMarch2012.jpg

Zander2March2012.jpg

A question for those who catch them regularly.

I had ALOT of pulls and plucks while fishing which I put down to catching debris on the bottom, however, the bite from the fish was just like hitting abit of debris except this time it started pulling back once I had struck. Is this a "normal" type of bite ? Starting to think I may have missed a few bites but only time will really tell I guess.

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

Decided I wanted to go and catch a Zander and to my surprise I managed to actually catch one on my first outing, well chuffed :D

Caught using a 3inch white Kopyto on a 5g jighead

ZanderMarch2012.jpg

Zander2March2012.jpg

A question for those who catch them regularly.

I had ALOT of pulls and plucks while fishing which I put down to catching debris on the bottom, however, the bite from the fish was just like hitting abit of debris except this time it started pulling back once I had struck. Is this a "normal" type of bite ? Starting to think I may have missed a few bites but only time will really tell I guess.

Well done mate

Small but beautiful

Darrell

Excellent, congratulations! Yes, the takes can be extremely subtle. It's worth striking at anything unusual, and striking hard. Some of the plucks could have been perch too. With the zander, they tend to hit the lure on the drop, as you let the lure flutter back to the bottom on a tight line after jigging it up - so a good take could just be a tiny pluck followed by a bit of slack line. That's why very visible braid (I use yellow) really helps you spot bites, and why windy days are a nightmare!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Excellent, congratulations! Yes, the takes can be extremely subtle. It's worth striking at anything unusual, and striking hard. Some of the plucks could have been perch too. With the zander, they tend to hit the lure on the drop, as you let the lure flutter back to the bottom on a tight line after jigging it up - so a good take could just be a tiny pluck followed by a bit of slack line. That's why very visible braid (I use yellow) really helps you spot bites, and why windy days are a nightmare!

Yes in general i agree with that. I find Perch a bit like that too but in general a pike takes the thing out of the water like a shark taking a seal off the surface of the ocean.....Well not quite but you get the point :D

That is also a cracking looking one too. it has a very nice clean shape to it and great colours...Great quality photo too. ;)

Edited by Dave H

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

BTW was this a canal zed? One of my closed season plans is to try to catch some zander from canals from the bank. I've found a couple of canals not too far away that apparently contain some zander, so it should be a good adventure seeing if I can catch one :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks folks :)

Anderoo - Yes mate it was a canal. Going out of my way to track down some more waters to fish this year and just hope I find one that contains a few other predatory species like perch, pike and chub too. Was quite surprised after 4 hours and 5 miles I hadn't had a pike or perch on the bank.

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg