French names for fish

The Flying Tench

Where are you going? I'm going to le pas Opton, about 3 miles inland from St Gilles.

Incidently there are one or two previous threads if you use the AN search and put in 'Vendee' for both the coarse and sea forums.

I am going to a key camp (like Haven) called Le Littoral in Les Sables d'Olonne.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and i'm not sure about the universe". (Albert Einstein)

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head, thats assault, not leadership". (Dwight D. Eisenhower)

"Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. Theres no doubt about it. Anytime you have a romance, your wife is bound to interfere". (Groucho marx)

If you go sea fishing watch out for Colin...... :rolleyes:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Yep, was in Newbury, then Bordeaux, now Wantage, but working in Newbury. You can also throw Barcelona, Leverkusen, Brittany into the mix as previous homes. The missis' family are from Brittany.

Every Depatment and Region has their own official peche website, with the regulations, permits, tips, boncoin(loosely means a good fishing spot), links, etc. http://www.federation-peche-vendee.fr/

Most communes will have a plan d'eau, get a ticket from the Mairie. Check opening times!

Rivers are free where you can reach the water. Lakes are free, if a stream flows in and out of the lake. You can cross private land to reach the lake or river, and 1.5m from the water's edge is public land. (I sometimes wonder if the Brit carp lake owners realise this!). You can take the fish for the pot, as many as you want. There are exceptions but in the Vendee they won't worry you.

The police de chasse are armed, have zero sense of humour and a massive sense of their own importance. Buy a permit, they are expensive, but do it!

Bait. Astracots are maggots, available in hypermarket. Very expensive, seems like you get 10 maggots for 1EUR!

Bread, sweetcorn, and any other supermarket bait will catch. I aways caught well on the big L'Isle and Dordodge rivers on

bread, and sweetcorn. Poisson Chats, barbel, carp, chub. Big feeder, near any type of feature you can find. The French canalised all their lower rivers to death, so look for any type of feature whatsoever.

Best fish was a 55lb carp from the Dordogne, on stale croissant groundbait, and bread on the hook.

We also have a holiday home in Creuse. Where the fishing is wild river trout and predators in the lakes.

A 55lb carp must have been amazing! I seem to remember you caught some good roach in Newbury, even though there are not many around. It's a bit of a general question, but I wondered if the roach in France might not be so regularly fished for and whether they might therefore be worth targeting?

john clarke

Roach are a favourite quarry of French anglers and many roach end up in the pot.

Regards boulangeries; whilst a lot of the types of bread don't lend themselves to flake bait it can be useful for floating crust. I'll be using it in summer for mullet. Also, some sell sacks of old dry bread at around seven euro. these are ideal for groundbait. Look out for the Co-op garden stores. You can buy 10 kilo of dried maize for around seven euro. Soak and simmer the amount you need. If that is too much you can get very large tins of prepared sweetcorn for around five euro.

I get my landlord to grind me a few kilos of his dried maize in his cattle feed mixer. Added to a sack of said boulangerie 'ancien pain' and a kilo of trout pellets, and it makes decent groundbait.

Regards, Clive

A 55lb carp must have been amazing! I seem to remember you caught some good roach in Newbury, even though there are not many around. It's a bit of a general question, but I wondered if the roach in France might not be so regularly fished for and whether they might therefore be worth targeting?

Ablettes. I always had problems with poisson chats, could never feed them off, or get through them with roach sized baits. Think of PCs as half to one pound bleak/minnows. On the bottom, up in the water, I reckon even if you suspended the bait 20cm above the water they'd still have it. You get to really hate them.

Good luck!

Any one who moans about the British education system, sorry, the French system is a million times worse. Hence why we moved back to the UK.
Your having a laugh mate. The British education system, especially the English one can't hold a candle to the French system. I'd rather cut of my left nut with my rusty old Opinel than take my kids out of French school.

Douille can be all sorts of things, depending on the context.

http://dictionary.reverso.net/french-english/douille

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote