magic scales

Kappa

I just got myself a set of light dial scales as a backup to my aging Avon scales which weigh a ton.

First impressions, they are very flimsy and trying to zero the was almost impossible, turn the know nothing happens, turn some more it jumps a pound!

Anyway finally got the zeroed and the accuracy? Awful weighing things in the 2 to 3lb range they gave a weight between 6 and 8oz too heavy. So should I send them back or improve all my PBs?

I can't believe how poor they are, they are made a reputable scale maker, I'm shocked.

Rich

I have always found digis to be dead simple and accurate. The only downside is that you don't know they're now working until they're not working - usually at the worst possible moment.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

No substitute for quality when it comes to scales and carrying slightly more weight is not that much of a problem (my camera weighs more than 3 sets of scales!). If the scales you refer to are the ones I'm thinking of then I'd ask for my money back. As for digital; brilliant when they work but notorious if the battery is low.

Kappa,

Just an arms length observation. Proper weight is an important part of British coarse fishing. You seem to be an angler of upmost integrity. I wouldn't return them because fish weights within 1 or 2 pounds is good enough. You think you would like to be like Phone - I lie? You had better just return them (or put them on a shelf if returning is more of a hassle than it's worth) and get something you have confidence in.

I have mechanical Ruben's. Really, they aren't that accurate if for no other reash than because they go to twice around to 60 lbs. Ounces are, at best, an honest estimate. If I had to have "correct' scales I to would only consider digital. GOOD ONES.

Phone

Edit: maybe two. I saw at the office supply store a "postal scale" that would be super for weights up to 3 lbs. They couldn't have weighed more than 1/4 pound and were thinner and not much larger than a ciggy pack.

Edited by Phone

LRR (long range release) is the way forward. Nothing extra to carry and no one can argue when you give the weight. "Wow, that carp weighed at least 82 pounds."

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Totally agree, lots of people knock digis but i carry just about every known battery with me anyway. Easy to zero, accurate and easy to read. What more could you want. I don't care if they are a quarter oz out when the battery is half full, does it really matter.