Fishing For Carp

crazycarphunter

All,

I agree with every post from this on up to my last one. I would add, sometimes there is simply an abundance of natural food that keep the carp pre-occupied too.

Take note Carpy

Phone

Edit sp

Edited by Phone

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off a massive thanks to everyone for your hints and tips, it is highly appreciated!

As for my experience, I am a noob, started fishing last April, I mainly fish the local canal and have on a few occasions fished a commercial lake. I know the basics to carp fishing but carp fishing isn't my thing, I much prefer to catch a big pike than a carp but as my bro loves his carp fishing I thought I would try and get some advice to help me when I go with him so he can enjoy his fishing without having to teach me everything. After all its he that got me fishing and he has taught ne almost everything I know, so I figured a break would be nice for him lol.

As for this lake, its in the middle of no where, hardly fished, and fish are hardly caught! To my knowledge 1 fish has been taken in the last week or 2 (according to the owner) and its been fished by 5 people in that time, all staying for atleast 12 hours!

I have had a look and there seems to be a channel the bigger fish are sticking to, swimming up and down it freely but there not feeding. They are about 1 rod length out and they don't seem to be spooked to easily! Then at the far corner there was 3 or 4 big carp just sat 1-2 feet down in the shallows, again not easily spooked by me waving my bro over or accidentally standing on twigs etc.

I also found out that people ledgering aren't getting anything, this could be due to the bed of the lake being like a cobbled road and the feeders are getting snagged, when they reel in the feeder gets snagged, line snaps...

I saw quite a few fish feed off the surface from some bread I threw in, this was around 6pm on a half decent day! Other than that they either do nothing, or swim in the channel.

I am hoping to go tomorrow for a few hours in the late afternoon, I will be trying a couple of your hints out and so will my bro.

Thanks to everyone for your help, much appreciated...you don't have to stop there, tips on making me a better angler will be very much appreciated.

Thanks again

Crazy aka Dan

Mad on fishing but don't have a clue how to fish :)

There's no sign that methods other than a big bomb and boilie are being considered but as it applies to that as well as to feeder fishing, I should point out that (especially in deep water), if you drop your feeder or lead directly on top of loose feed, you should let it drop right to the bottom on a slack line and then tighten to it.

If you stop the line as soon as the lead/feeder hits the water, it will swing towards you and away from your loose feed which will have dropped vertically.

Agree there Ken. Of course an option is to pack the feeder tight enough that the majority of bait stays put if dropping on a tight line and then it should break out of the feeder in its resting place when the air begins to burst out. If you are worried its packed too tightly then you can always tug it bag by a foot to pull the feed out once it has been in the water for a minute or so.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk