When To Use Homemade Boilies

Elton

Posted on behalf of tich. Please add all replies to this thread:

am new to carp fishing an only have limited time to fish,i like to make my own bait,so was wondering if there are an problems with useing baits that have just been made,as some say you have to let them dry out b4 use?,thank you 4 your time.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

The drying part is mainly to harden them a bit and to allow them to last longer without spoiling or being frozen.

If they are firm enough to stay on a rig, it works fine to use them immediately.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

tich,

You making boilies with a boilie recipe? Without eggs and cooking you have doughball. Hard doughball probably should go on a hair like a boilie. Soft doughball you call paste (if you are in the UK). Even with the eggs you can have a doughball depending on the binder.

Of course you can use them straight-away. (I guess you are carp fishing??)

While there may be some down sides there could also be an up side. Give it ia go!

Phone

tich,

You making boilies with a boilie recipe? Without eggs and cooking you have doughball. Hard doughball probably should go on a hair like a boilie. Soft doughball you call paste (if you are in the UK). Even with the eggs you can have a doughball depending on the binder.

Of course you can use them straight-away. (I guess you are carp fishing??)

While there may be some down sides there could also be an up side. Give it ia go!

Phone

I have often kept some of my boilie mix in an uncooked state to use as a paste while boiling up the rest of the mix as usual.

There are times when a paste bait has scored better than a boilie or I may wrap some of the paste around the boilie to add an extra flavour trail leading up to the hook.

I haven't noticed much difference in the number of bites I have had; whether they are freshly made boilies or on boilies that have been dried out and frozen.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Air drying is about preserving/storing nothing to do with hardness.The mix it self should be designed to produce the "hardness" you want from rock hard (by using Egg Albumin) or just lightly skinned (by using plenty of any of the calf milk replacers or Calcium Caseinate).

Any "hardness" achieved by air drying will soon be lost once the boillie re-hydrates in the water!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

BUDGIE,

I defer to you but I've never seen a commercial boillie that re-hydrates to the consistancy of a paste? Or for that matter, even close.

Who makes such a boilie? Homemade?

Phone

BUDGIE,

I defer to you but I've never seen a commercial boillie that re-hydrates to the consistancy of a paste? Or for that matter, even close.

Who makes such a boilie? Homemade?

Phone

No one. My comments were in regard to hard baits Phone and people thinking that just because an air dried boille is rock hard it would remain that way when in the water.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!