I'll Not Be Voting Liberal Then...

Paul_D

It seems to me that the debate is about whether or not we want our local councils to set part of our income tax.

Have they done a good job in setting the local rates of community charge?

I don't know. I've never been asked for any!

Isn't it a Liberal politician, now the el supremo of the RSPCA, that says she sees no sense in catching fish that are not eaten?

[ 29. September 2003, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

sorry guys but i hate that "i dont mind paying more if....." attitude.

all the politicians say is woa yeah another sucker to rip off!!

we pay the highest fuel tax yet get the least amount spent on roads.

i live in a village with few "extras" where as the parents live in a city pay less council tax on a bigger property and get loads of stuff.

i always thought a government was elected to do what the people(majority)wanted? not have to do what,one up himself priminister thinks we should do!!

what i am saying is all the time we have the i am willing to pay brigade the country is stuffed,we need a united enough is enough approach to show the politicians they have to bring about change and reduce cost not create more and more pen pushing jobs.

[ 29. September 2003, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: euan pink ]

later guys i`m going fishing

euan pink:

i live in a village with few "extras" where as the parents live in a city pay less council tax on a bigger property and get loads of stuff.

i always thought a government was elected to do what the people(majority)wanted? not have to do what,one up himself priminister thinks we should do!!

The problem is that the majority live in cities and thus command the most votes. Just about every constituency, if not all, is dominated by voters from urban areas. Hence country issues are rarely given much attention by politicians, whatever party they belong to.

The only recourse is pressure groups like the Council for the Protection of Rural England, and the Countryside Alliance. Hopefully when the fox hunting debate is over one way or another the latter will fight more on other rural issues like transport, Post Offices, schools, hospitals and housing to name but a few.

Our council tax in Kent has gone up sharply recently, and the main reason is that the Government has decided to divert resources to areas further north. A cynic would say that there are few marginal seats in the South East for the Government to lose.....

Not only is the question about how best to pay for local services, but also should local budgets be controlled mainly by councils or by central government?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I think one of my old signatures said, and copied off an old college badge circa 1977... " Dont vote it only encourages them!"

Trouble is we all have opinions, there are loads of questions and no one knows the answers!

But a few facts as I have been told recently,

1 We are now the cheapest place to buy family cars in Europe! (I think big ones may still be more expensive)

2, If we pay the most fuel tax how come petrol in France and italy costs the same as here?

3 the Pound isnt strong, the Euro is hence 1 and 2 above!

So who should take the taxes? I dont care, I just want results and accountability. not lies and bent statistics. What is clear is it isnt working now so why not try something new?

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

I earn 9k a year and I work bloody hard for it. But I still have to shell out the same amount for coucil tax as people earning three times as much as me. A little perpective I think.

quote:

I earn 9k a year and I work bloody hard for it. But I still have to shell out the same amount for coucil tax as people earning three times as much as me. A little perpective I think.

You'll be voting Lib Dems then I take it...?

Paul

Richard, congratulations on having a job and working hard, even though your wage doesn,t meet the aspirations of everyone.

Hopefully, your future prospects will be better. :)

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Ian Bass:

You'd be better off on the dole. I would not get out of bed for £9K a year. You must be mad!

If I worked days, that's about what I would earn.

I can't make out how people can get more on the dole.

I signed on for eight and a half years and they only gave me N.I. credits, but lots of free computer courses which was supposed to get me a decent job. That's a myth as well!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net