Pigeon killer...

Bretty

It is a truly beautiful sight to see any of the raptors make a strike.

Owl taking rodents (requires night glasses to watch though).

Hawk taking anything it's size or smaller.

Eagle taking whatever suits it's fancy.

I have to wonder about folks who don't enjoy watching the birds in action.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think this is why our small birds (sparrows etc) are disapearing ,not so much that there habitats are changing but that birds of prey are far more numerous than before as people are caring for them and protection has increased.

its always puzzeled me when talking about evolution only man has evolved greatly ,you would think that as lions have been eating zebra for millions of years ,the zebra act as they have always acted they run away theoreticly if they stuck together they could kick the lions ass ,or the use of sticks ,i bet not one has thought of picking up a stick and clumping the lions ,if they did it enough then surely evolution would provide a stick like appendage ,but no they just run.

why havent birds evolved ,maybe sparrows with attitude that fly round in gangs attacking kestrals

apart from the odd bird of prey getting mobbed by a crow or such ,birds evolution seems to have remained unchanged.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hiya,

chesters1:

i think this is why our small birds (sparrows etc) are disapearing ,not so much that there habitats are changing but that birds of prey are far more numerous than before as people are caring for them and protection has increased.

I think you'll find that the birds of prey ar'nt really the problem here, the problem is the King of egg theifs, the Magpie. It's numbers have exploded to plauge proportions and a large part of their diet includes small birds chicks and eggs.

try going to a place where there are no magpies and you'll see the diffrence in the numbers of small birds. here in Clydebank there are fewsamll birds and very few thrushes. But up at Lochaline where there are no magpies loads of birds of prey and Pine martins there is tons of small stuff flying about and loads of thrushes.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

I agree with Davy. Where I work, we are plagued with magpies and I rarely see any other birds.

Having said that, can somebody answer me this....

Every time I've seen an owl take off or land, I've been amazed by its grace. However, is there an owl that flies quite erratically, or do owls do this as an evasion technique?

If not, I sacred the biggest bat I'vce ever seen the other night

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, You might be right, i just guessed it was a ketrel. but it was about the same size as this pigeon maybe even smaller.

And it had like big thighs?!

Bretty

Elton:

Having said that, can somebody answer me this....

Every time I've seen an owl take off or land, I've been amazed by its grace. However, is there an owl that flies quite erratically, or do owls do this as an evasion technique?

If not, I sacred the biggest bat I'vce ever seen the other night

Elton

Hiya Elton,

yes owls can fly erratically when required

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

I spent some time working on the 26th floor of the NatWest Tower and it was fascinating to watch the peregrine falcons hunting pigeons and starlings. They used to 'hide' round one side of the building and then ambush birds as they flew round the corner and at such a speed you could barely keep your eyes on them. The most spectacular sight was in the late autumn/early winter when huge flocks of starlings used to gather just before sunset prior to going en-mass to their roosting places in the various london Squares. There are literally tens of thousands of them in huge flocks and it was amazing to watch the peregrines stooping down through them. If you've seen the wildlife films where they show huge schools of fish all turning and changing direction simultaneously then it was just like that!

As for the shortage of small birds, in addition to the points previously raised there is also the fact that modern gardens are actually surprisingly barren places for birds. The trees and shrubs we plant are in general not good for nesting and many of them provide little food for birds. Our liberal application of insect and weedkillers also removes a lot of food as does the breeding of insect resistant plants. Add to that the prairies that many farming areas have become and the reduction of bird numbers is hardly surprising. Even sparrows are becoming rare in some areas!!

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

sorry davidp i think that gardens on the whole probably save birds ,go into the country side and you will hear a few birds ,see a few less ,in the country its hard going for birds in the winter.

come into a garden (at least round here) and you litterally mobbed by the things,wagtails (pied and that yellowy one) galore ,finches,all types (even a sparrowhawk at times) sadly though few sparrows (i have fond memories of them in london as a kid) they fight over which birdtable to crap on,plenty of magpies in the field following the cows and crows ,jackdaws etc , but all the small birds in the garden

,nest boxes all over the place etc.

one of the biggest killers of wild birds are sqirrells and stoats both love eggs and chicks not many of them in the garden though.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Sorry - didn't make myself clear. Gardens are certainly good places for birds, but over the last 20 years or so the changes in gardening practice and plants means they are nowhere near as productive as they used to be from a birds point of view. It's the comparison I meant to highlight rather than a straight statement of fact.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

yes i can visulise the " immaculate " garden and its

taming nature concept and i take your point they are bird unfriendly , my garden backs on to the "countryside" so has a distinct "casual" feel to it ,we rarely get dirds in the back garden as its open to the sparrow hawks (even little birds flying across it have a distinctly worried look about them :( )

but the front is a bit more secluded so they feed there.

reminds me of the morning chorus at a pond near here (lyn may know it :) ) it just across the road from Birdworld (a bird "sanctuary" type thing) that dawn chorus is really out of this world ,cookerburra`s the lot , out of this world :D