TFGear Force 8 Bivvy

Steve Walker

I normally just use a cheap tent for Wingham, which is fine, but would fall foul of the rules at my local clubs. So I'm considering picking up a cheap bivvy for Wingham and the occasional summer overnighter locally. No need to be usable in winter, will only be used a few times a year.

Having been Ron Thompsoned in the past, I'm a bit wary of conspicuously cheap stuff, but then it can hardly be worse than the cheap tent I have been using. I think Tigger has one and rates it - anyone else?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The poles are not very strong and I had a 2 man one a few years ago and one of the hinges and poles broke but this is the only draw back with them. Even though this one broke I had no hesitation in buying another the 2 man giant sized one. They have a built in ground sheet and inner tent and are very warm in even in fairly cold conditions. The built in ground sheet is a real winner and don't think I could go back to seperate groundsheet, I have never had any problems with leaks or water getting through the groundsheet. For the money you get a lot of bivy and perfect for those who only do nights in summer. In the standard 1 or 2 man size they realy do go up quickly once you are used to them which is great on a wet day. They are bulky when packed away but thats the price you pay for the quick set up mechanisim.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

probably not suitable for sleeping in but my mate manages just fine. he uses one of those popup bivvies. pop-a-bivvy pro i believe. large enough for loads of gear and can arrange things so you can get comfy inside for a lie down (not straight out though) and will fit nicely in to any swim.

im sure they are just rebranded archery tents

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I was looking at buying the same bivvy - I only fish occasional overnights in summer.

Go Outdoors stock them, you might get lucky and be able to see one set up if you have one of them locally

Mat

Mat

Steve, it would probably be just fine for occasional use, especially if you could get one cheap. But I've heard and read quite a lot of negative stuff about them - poles and hinges breaking, mechanisms sticking, general poor build quality. I have never used one myself though, so couldn't say how reliable all that stuff is. Before parting with your cash I'd have a good Google and search of all the fishing forums and see what the general consensus is.

An alternative is the shakespeare cypry dome (http://www.tacklefanatics.co.uk/item/19103/shakespeare-cypry-dome-bivvy.html). I had one for years and years and can recommend them highly. Very cheap, very small, very light, mine lasted with regular use for almost 10 years - ideal for the occasional session.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I was looking at buying the same bivvy - I only fish occasional overnights in summer.

Go Outdoors stock them, you might get lucky and be able to see one set up if you have one of them locally

Mat

I have one and have currently had any problems with the poles breaking, I'm really happy with it. I have the two man version because I have been told the 1 man is fairly small and only good for overnighters without much stuff to store.

I've only had mine for a season but once I got used to setting it up it's been fine.

Funnily enough, that's where I saw them, but I don't think I saw any set up. Might go for another look, though.

Hmm, the Shakespeare one is even cheaper. On the other hand, the TFGear one is in stock locally, so I can prevaricate until the day before Wingham and then just buy it! :D

Hmm, the Shakespeare one is even cheaper. On the other hand, the TFGear one is in stock locally, so I can prevaricate until the day before Wingham and then just buy it! :D

I recently got myself a new bivvy. After lots and lots of umming and arhhing I went for the JRC X Lite.

I have to say I really like it. It is very quick to put up (unlike the Cypry dome), nice and light (not compare to the Cypry dome mind). The door or the whole front can be zipped off it you just want a day shelter. Also the back vents are great if you find yourself roasting in the bivvy on a sunny day.

I picked mine up for 135 quid from Climax tackle....

Rich