poundage?

frodo_uk

on my local ticket there is the derwent and a pond close to it. The derwent is full of good chubb and some even better barbel, the pond has the biggest lumps of snot (tench) I've ever seen. thinking of targeting all of these, but was wandering what pound line was appropriatte.

Always fished around the 3 and 4 lb region but not I'm gonna target some bigger beasties do you think six pound is about right , bearing in mind that my rod is not a carp/pike/specimen rod?

The barbel have been known to go into double figures around 12 lb on rare occasions and the tench are "average" around eight pound.

Or do i need a new rod :confused:

fat, stupid hobbit.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh just an after thought. after the E.A. did an underwater survey the other day (on request by the club) they discovered some other unusual specimens in the derwent. 11 cars, 2 safes, and a handgun to be precise

fat, stupid hobbit.

The method which i use to determine what pound line i should use is by taking the strength of the line and doubling it to estimate what fish i could land with it. For example, in your case if there is barbel to 12 pound then 6 or 7 pound line will be adequate. You will even get away with 5 pound line if your skills are good.

Of course this method has extremeties because to land a 30 pound fish you don't need 15 pound line, you could do it on 8 pound line. It is just a rough indicator. Hope it helps.

thanks baronizer if that sounds straight forward enough :cool: . I'd like to see if others agree with that ... and what pound line would you recommend to pull out an abandoned wreck....just incase i get snagged :D:D:D

fat, stupid hobbit.

I think Baronizer's way is a good one, but flawed, because it does'nt take into account weed or snags!

A 30lb fish for instance can be landed on 8lb line, but what control would the angler have? Very little - it is better to be safe than sorry!

Imagine using as a light a line as possible only to lose the fish of a life-time?

It also doesnt take in to account the test curve of the rod used, the weight of leger or feeder etc being used.

It also shows a lack of respect for the fish. Yes a fish could be landed but what condition would it be in if it was played for an extended period of time due to to light a breaking strain line being used?

Far better to use a more suitable breaking strain so as not to exhaust any fish to much.

For Barbel of the size stated I'd be looking at 10lb bs line with a 8lb hook length minimum.

If you are fishing for Tench of up to 8lb in still water without snags,my view would be 4lb line with 3lb hook lenth or 3lb direct to hook.This of corse has to be matched to the correct rod to obtain to right balance of set up.

I fish a small one and a half acre lake no snags but marginal reeds with 3lb line direct on a 13ft Shimano perfection rod, taken Tench to 6lb+ in wonderfull fashion. :):):):) Good luck let us know how you get on.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

I don't think that it shows a lack of respect for the fish Grumpybum. It is more of a challenge for starters. Someone recently landed a 34 pound carp on 4 pound line! Some people like a challenge instead of knowing the fish is secure by using a 3 pound test curve rod and 20 pound line, withbraid for the hook link.

Baronizer:

Someone recently landed a 34 pound carp on 4 pound line!  

I'd love to know by whom, are where? I don't read the rags!!

Can I ask with respect, what rig you would use on such a light set up?