Cant get my head around it??

tetley

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sea rod, 30lb line, 5lb fish - would be a little boring for the angler wouldn't it? Might be OK for the fish as long as you took it easy but about as exciting as watching paint dry.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Tetley,

Matches are usually held on heavily fished waters and with between 20 and 40 anglers

"all in" at the same time, the fish will be well wary of heavy lines. The thinner and finer the line, the more chance you have in duping the fish to take YOUR line. I have been pleasure fishing and seen anglers say after a match that the 4lb line they are using is "too thick a diameter" for the fish.

[ 26. May 2004, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: kleinboet ]

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Have you compared the structure of a carp's mouth to a cod's? Can you say 'hook pull'?

That being said, obviously heavier gear will allow you to put the fish on the bank quicker.

And you could probably get around the softer mouth to a certain extent by using treble hooks.

I guess in the end, if you can win matches using heavy gear, then you might want to give it a try. But the earlier point about needing to hook them first (and being hampered in getting bites from heavy gear) is worth considering.

You know, I'm from the States and sorta thick at times but this is beginning to smell a lot like a wind-up topic to me.

[ 26. May 2004, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

If it is'nt a wind-up, I think its a disgusting attitude to take, that of catching, and bagging-up as quickly as possible, with the welfare of the fish (no matter what species) obviously coming a poor second - if that!

In my humble opinion, it is attitudes such as this that give our sport a bad name, and that which causes divisions within it!

Rant over!

mpbdsnu:

... Rant over!

Whew. That's good.

:D:D

[ 26. May 2004, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

The reason for using heavy gear is to get the bait out to where you want it, not to get the fish in quickly, sea anglers use heavy leads 6oz so a light rod and line aren't going to get it out very far, if at all without the rod or line snapping.

If you hooked a five pound fish and tried to tow it in you would tear the hook out of the fishes mouth.

If you use the sort of tactics you describe you wouldn't last to long on the match scene.

I've heard of match anglers speed catching 20lb carp on a pole by shipping the pole back in one movement and getting the fish in the net before it realises it is hooked, now that's the way to get fish in quickly.

Mark

Mark