Apps

Leon Roskilly

Useful app for Iphone and Adroid

iFindFishing

Helps locate nearby fisheries, tackle-shops, sea-charters with map/directions if needed

Any other apps you've found useful?

I have fishid pocket reference

http://www.macworld.com/appguide/app.html?...mp;expand=false

And

Twitpict for uploading images on bank to twitter

I have fishid pocket reference

http://www.macworld.com/appguide/app.html?...mp;expand=false

And

Twitpict for uploading images on bank to twitter

Good thread, thanks.

I'd really like someone to write a Google Maps overlay that shows who controls the fishing on just about every piece of water you come across - I know it'd be one hell of a job to catalogue it all, but when out and about it'd be a useful tool. I keep the stuff in the van just in case, and often see pretty stretches of river, ponds etc as I am travelling.

Good thread, thanks.

I'd really like someone to write a Google Maps overlay that shows who controls the fishing on just about every piece of water you come across - I know it'd be one hell of a job to catalogue it all, but when out and about it'd be a useful tool. I keep the stuff in the van just in case, and often see pretty stretches of river, ponds etc as I am travelling.

Hmmm

How much would you pay for such an app??

Mat

Mat

It wouldnt be a difficult app to write (I am currently working on something very similar at work using spatial data to map roadworks onto a google or bing map). The problems arise when clubs dont want their waters publicised. This does happen. You then end up with blanks and your back in a similar boat. Also something to consider is that if your out and about in the sticks you may have a low signal and this would mean it would take a while to load the map. You would be better storing the data on the client device but this may mean a sizeable download and it would have to be kept up to date often. A lot of things to consider before you got going but if you had that time it would be worth writing I think. The database of who owns what would be very easy to populate. You would have to use a spatial database such as Oracle 11g that would allow you to store lines etc that could then be plotted onto the map at a given zoom level and view plane.

Anyway I am not writing it for you so I will leave you guys to come up with the rest :lol:

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

It wouldnt be a difficult app to write (I am currently working on something very similar at work using spatial data to map roadworks onto a google or bing map). The problems arise when clubs dont want their waters publicised. This does happen. You then end up with blanks and your back in a similar boat. Also something to consider is that if your out and about in the sticks you may have a low signal and this would mean it would take a while to load the map. You would be better storing the data on the client device but this may mean a sizeable download and it would have to be kept up to date often. A lot of things to consider before you got going but if you had that time it would be worth writing I think. The database of who owns what would be very easy to populate. You would have to use a spatial database such as Oracle 11g that would allow you to store lines etc that could then be plotted onto the map at a given zoom level and view plane.

Anyway I am not writing it for you so I will leave you guys to come up with the rest :lol:

LOL I left my IT days behind me years ago. Although it IS the sort of stuff I used to write. Have been toying with Android writing for a few weeks now bu this project seems too big for me now!

LOL I left my IT days behind me years ago. Although it IS the sort of stuff I used to write. Have been toying with Android writing for a few weeks now bu this project seems too big for me now!

I am currently a .Net developer but I did dabble with Android a little in my last role too. Not enough to take this on either I dont think. Wouldnt have the spare time to learn what I needed to know either with having a new baby and full time job etc etc. Would make a nice little project for someone. Shouldnt be all that difficult using the google maps api so long as the developer has knowledge of spatial data and spatial databases (oracle 11g would be my choice).

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk