What makes a good trotting rod?

TrevBoy

The ideal line for trotting with a pin is straight off the rod tip, the reason many people wade out, even on small rivers.

Agree with that and I think it applies to whatever reel is being used. There's no substitute for getting in the water (if you can) and gaining access to the right line, on the Kennet or any other small river I'd say that wading is potentially more beneficial than reel choice.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[/b]

Well yes that's the point of the advice given in that using a 'pin does need some practice, but that can be gained over time, but using a fixed spool to start is still very effective and just as if not more convenient than a centre pin. I guess if you look at the skills of good match anglers using fixed spools you should agree. To many anglers centre pins are bling and the rest of us appreciate fixed spools as a tool to do a job without faffing around and having so many limitations such as casting distance. However there is a art in trotting with a modern reel, and letting the line of the spool by finger control is an example of that.

Oh! I can use a pin, in fact that's all I used as a kid, and we cast as best we could, only to be advised now that it was the Wallace :rolleyes:

No elitism here :rolleyes:

There is no way in the world you could get practice using a pin by not using one.

Trotting a float is easier and will give you much better results with a pin as it will give you far better presentation and the kind you would struggle to get with a life times practice with a fixed spool reel.

I can probably cast 30 yards with a pin and could probably cast 5 yards the first time i picked one up.

Why cast a float to where you can't control it without pulling it off line?

Anyone who thinks trotting is about distance casting should stick to ledgering as they will probably do better.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Guest redfin2
Agree with that and I think it applies to whatever reel is being used. There's no substitute for getting in the water (if you can) and gaining access to the right line, on the Kennet or any other small river I'd say that wading is potentially more beneficial than reel choice.

Agree with that 100%

Guest redfin2
There is no way in the world you could get practice using a pin by not using one.

Trotting a float is easier and will give you much better results with a pin as it will give you far better presentation and the kind you would struggle to get with a life times practice with a fixed spool reel.

I can probably cast 30 yards with a pin and could probably cast 5 yards the first time i picked one up.

Anyone who thinks trotting is about distance casting should stick to ledgering as they will probably do better.

Agreed it does need practise, but I was alluding to just go out and fish either with a pin or fixed spool, but as I said initially and has been repeated the most crucial thing is the 'line' that you are trotting, and that would be best achieved by wading when possible.

Of course trotting is not about distance for most situations, so why the put down regarding sticking to ledgering? This thread is an attempt to pass on information to the OP to get him started, Keep It Simple Stupid is the maxim here, a fixed spool is just fine.

Edited by redfin2

Agreed it does need practise, but I was alluding to just go out and fish either with a pin or fixed spool, but as I said initially and has been repeated the most crucial thing is the 'line' that you are trotting, and that would be best achieved by wading when possible.

Of course trotting is not about distance for most situations, so why the put down regarding sticking to ledgering? This thread is an attempt to pass on information to the OP to get him started, Keep It Simple Stupid is the maxim here, a fixed spool is just fine.

I was just trying to straighten out some misleading stuff you'd written

[/b]

To many anglers centre pins are bling and the rest of us appreciate fixed spools as a tool to do a job without faffing around and having so many limitations such as casting distance.

Casting distance with a pin isn't a limitation when trotting. The ability to control a float at range beyond the rod tip is where the limitation is.

On your rivers.

The middle Severn is 45m wide and it's often necessary to trot a stick float or chubber at a range of 30m or more if that's where the fish are.

Starting off with a 5m cast really isn't going to cut the mustard.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

TrevB,

As you can tell by now, the "pin" is a style of fishing. Not an enhancement to just catching fish. While the same rod can be used for all three, fixed, pin, or as we do in America a multiplyer reel - each is an "angler choice". I think of the 'pin' as being used by the same class of angler that enjoys flyfishing.

If you want to step into the world of "fiddly" angling you rod and reel choice is perfect. Be prepared for a "learning curve". I would be helpful if you were able to go angling with an experienced and avid 'pin' guy.

It's like smoking a pipe vs smoking ciggys.

Phone

On your rivers.

The middle Severn is 45m wide and it's often necessary to trot a stick float or chubber at a range of 30m or more if that's where the fish are.

Starting off with a 5m cast really isn't going to cut the mustard.

Ive whacked a float further than that on the ribble and even caught a few fish doing it, but its way short of what i would consider trotting and being in control of the float. I find catches are nearly always very limited if you can't stay in control of the float as fish wise up very quickly if your bait isn't taking a natural line.

If it was physically impossible to get with in a few rod lengths of the fish, i would probably get the tip rod out.

TrevB,

As you can tell by now, the "pin" is a style of fishing. Not an enhancement to just catching fish. While the same rod can be used for all three, fixed, pin, or as we do in America a multiplyer reel - each is an "angler choice". I think of the 'pin' as being used by the same class of angler that enjoys flyfishing.

If you want to step into the world of "fiddly" angling you rod and reel choice is perfect. Be prepared for a "learning curve". I would be helpful if you were able to go angling with an experienced and avid 'pin' guy.

It's like smoking a pipe vs smoking ciggys.

Phone

Phone,

Can you smoke a pipe or a ciggy if its 45m away?

ps. without a hose pipe. :)

Edited by lutra

lutra,

Just suggesting both ciggy and pipe are tobacco delivery systems. One is considerably more fiddly than the other.

Trust me, I'm not engaging you "pin" guys in a serious conversation again. It's like talking to a fly guy. Neither of you has any common sense.

Phone