Alcohol while fishing

JackPike

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by frodo_uk:

One of the statistics gathered by the R.L.S.S.... 80% of all drownings alcohol related. A sobering thought.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

92.3% of the alcohol related drowning deaths were no loss to the human gene pool.

I know its probably just me being a thicko ( i get used to it :rolleyes: ) but i don't get that sentence newt :confused:

fat, stupid hobbit.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indian Angler:

Drinking and fishing just don't mix.... Have had fishing trips ruined by having pals passing out and generally making asses of themselves.    :mad:  

Maybe it's getting drunk and fishing which don't mix?

Guest Brumagem Phil

Nowt wrong with having a drink whilst fishing in the summer. When I say drink, I mean having a beer instead of say a can of pop or some tea. The problem arises when people treat fishing trips as drinking outings.

Seen it a few times this summer. Some fellah with his wife and kids turns up with his kit, a small picnic and 24 cans of carling. It all starts amicably enough but normally around the turn of dark hes got rowdy (and gobby) and most the other anglers just want to go and throw him in!

Bearing in mind the caveat in the first paragraph, rivers and lakes are for fishing, pubs are for drinking.

A local stretch of the Bridgwater canal has regular fishing and drinking parties at the weekends, usually overnighters. They leave a mess, have fires and suchlike. Generally these are teenagers but enough grown ups get involved. It can be intimidating but what can you do? Even my old Salford charm is not enough when the buggers kick off. Not quite like Chris Yates and Bob James having a bottle of bottle of Pino Grigio on opening day at Redmire.

quote:

I think Newt means that if you are thick enough to drink,and fall in the water and drown,it's no loss to humanity.
there is a award for this,(The Darwin Awards salute the improvement of the human genome

by honoring those who accidentally kill themselves in really stupid ways.

Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously).

darwinawards.com

there realy are some stupid people about

gatso.gif

Hmm, can't say the subject really bothers me that much BUT the following is a cert:

Just because you are a private lake (with terms and conditions and disclaimers) doesn't mean you don't have a duty of care (legally) to the people using your facility. As a result a baliff (paid or not) might be considered to be 'responsible' for allowing people to fish his/her pond whilst under the influence, and any accident resulting from it might also be considered the baliffs fault. The same applies to all those lakes with knackered muddy paths and rotting pegs (I went through a peg last year - not joking).

I know it's a leisure sport, but it will take one or two lawsuits (which will come one day believe me) and every lake will instantly ban drinking and ensure the facilities are safe for day to day use.

Back to canals - forget anglers. How many bloody barges run up and down canals piloted by morons drinking Carling??? Quite a few I suspect!

Ian W