Six Shooter problem

spamhill

Soft bodied lures such as shads and mag-tail grubz are cheap as chips, and spinners and spoons aren't much dearer. It needn't be expensive. Have a look at http://www.cabelas.com and http://www.basspro.com and you'll see what I mean.

And don't forget that Matt is also sponsored!

[ 24. June 2005, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My adcock, seems a bit rough looking a bit like untreated alluninium. would that be the word you are on about. I was able to get the bearings replaced by an engineering firm in the early ninetys.

They are harder to catch up North

Anodized if the UK spelling is the same as ours:

An "anode" is the positive end of an electrical circuit. To anodize a metal, place it in an acid bath and pass an electrical current through the tank. The process causes oxygen atoms to bond to the surface of the metal giving it a thin protective film and a lustrous sheen.

Aluminum, magnesium, titanium, and tantalum are often treated this way.

Not sure what the word for 'not anodized' would be but unanodized looks fine to me and should certainly make your point.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Spamhill, I promise you'll notice the difference.

There doesnt seem to be any 5501s around on ebay.co.uk at the moment. The cheapest new one in the UK is here at

http://www.snowlines.co.uk/acatalog/Snowli...IERS-REELS.html

Thorne Brothers in the USA used to do a great deal on factory reconditioned ABU reels but they now seem to have stopped.

Keep an eye on ebay and the forum 'for sale' notices. I've no doubt you'll find something suitable fairly quickly.

Best and most reliable links are the double action stayloks found here.

http://www.dlst.co.uk/swivels.html

Not the cheapest, but having slowly worked my way through and abandoned every other link that I've tried, I reckon that these are the best. They last forever even after the finish has rubbed off, have a 'double action' which means that should the link initially fail (they never do) there's a secondary back up 'lock'. They are available in a number of different sizes which means that you can match your lure with a link. Some small lures lose part of their action if the link is too big and heavy

[ 25. June 2005, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Spam Ive used the Driftmaster braid for bait fishing and its not to bad.For lure fishing though I would reccomend a heavier braid.Reason being is that since using heavy braid I havnt had to replace it in many seasons and not lost a single expensive lure! With the correct balance of hook strength to line strength and a short length of broom stick you can retrieve most snagged lures.

Others on here will have heard this story before but,when I was guiding full time I was given a Six Shooter reel to try,after its initial outing it spent the rest of its life wedging up the fridge in my caravan awning....it wasnt much cop at that either!

Some of my multipliers date from the 70's and are still going fine.In fact I honestly believe that pre 1980 ABU reels are superior in quality to post 80 ones.When buying second hand ones try to avoid ones that have been used for sea fishing,especialy ones that have at one time been converted by having the level wind mechanism and bar removed.This is common practice on distance beach reels (a lot of which are the models used for pike)not done correcvtly the frame can be out of true.Also the level wind mechanism is desirable for lure fishing.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

BUDGIE:

Others on here will have heard this story before but,when I was guiding full time I was given a Six Shooter reel to try,after its initial outing it spent the rest of its life wedging up the fridge in my caravan awning....it wasnt much cop at that either!

I think Budgie ex six shooter reel ended up wedging the carvan at Luke Moffat place if I am remember rightly! :D

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/