Decent start to the season

J.K

Spent a few days along the river and despite conditions it fished really well. Nothing huge but bags of fun and great to start of the season with a few fish on the bank.

Started off trotting double maggot and catching bleak, roach, chub & dace. Really enjoyable even though most of the fish where under 6oz it was just great to get a bend in the rod.

The next session I went out with the lure rod managed to get a hat-trick with some cobbled together lures :)

Chub3June16th.jpg

Perch2June16th.jpg

PikeJune16th.jpg

And a few others, stopped taking photo's once I realised the fish were biting lol

Perch3June16th.jpg

PerchJune16th.jpg

ChubJune16th.jpg

Chub2June16th.jpg

The lure that did most of the damage, held up quite well to be fair but will be changing the grub before my next outing :)

Lure.jpg

One big surprise I had was how well the new braid I had purchased performed. Some "cheap" stuff from the far east delivered to the door for under £10! Will require some longer term testing to see if it lasts but it cast' further than power pro and felt alot nicer to use. For anyone on a budget check it out, but please remember I have NOTHING to do with the seller.

Braid Link

Later that evening I had ago for a few eels using ledgered prawn. Lots of missed bites from the bootlaces but happy to have landed these two. I think after fishing Wingham I have an urge to start catching these strange creatures.

eelJune16th.jpg

eel2June16th.jpg

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

Excellent session JK. Great pics too. I havent hit the rivers in anger yet. Just a short session on monday night. Would love to enjoy the success you have had there next time im out.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I assume those hooks are the "Pluggin Singles" from Decoy. How has your hookup rate been compared to trebles ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Thanks lads :)

Rik - I was very surprised that the fish were feeding, river was up a good few feet and I couldnt hold bottom with a 3 oz lead. I think because it had been in this condition a couple of the days the fish had become accustomed to it so where happy to feed.

TrevBoy - Get a decent Eel on the right gear and your in for quite a battle. I use a bait too big for the bootlaces which seem to be the most frantic while on the bank, the bigger fish seem to calm down fairly quickly but still cant work out how to pick them up without the going a little mental lol.

Ken L - You are correct mate. I cant believe just how good the hook up rate is the only downside to this brand of hook is the barb is tiny so the fish can throw the hook a little too easy if pressure isnt kept on. I would say that I hook up rate was just as good as a treble. The key is to use the right sized hook usually going up in size from the treble it replaces. I did find that I had MORE chub hook ups on a single hook, why I cant work out maybe a single just gets engulfed more easily ?

The thing that always astonishes me with chub is how hard they can hit the lure without driving the points home.

I have some Decoys but not in sizes suitable for my chub spinners. I may have try to source some.

I've tried circles in the past but they're useless on spinners.

The best hookup rate I've had was with a batch of Mustad Triplegrip trebles. Fitting them via split rings is a PITA though.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I think I used a 1/0 with a cut down 3 inch grub. They look MASSIVE in the packet but once rigged look perfect.

On plugs I use smaller sizes but cant for the life remember what size, maybe size 6 or 4 ? You may have seen the pictures before but hopefully shows you how well they hook up. I use them on lures that consistently attract perch as it makes unhooking easy and feel its better for the fishes soft mouth.

2perchmarch2012.jpg

Perch4.jpg

Edited by J.K