The Brits and drink

Further on from the thread about obeying the law in foreign countries...............

We have all seen the unfortunate waste of young life that takes place every year, when predominately drunken British youths kill themselves after climbing over balconies.

I had to cover a story this morning concerning some older British, holidaymakers in a town called Rojales in Alicante province.

A concerned Spanish resident called the Guardia Civil after seeing the pair, who were so drunk they couldn't stand, in the company of two children aged 2 and 4 years old.

The Guardia Civil were unable to get much sense out of the pair as they were unable to speak, so have taken their children into care, putting them into a care home in Alicante.

They later established that the parents were on holiday, and have started legal proceedings against them for child abandonment.

Unbelievable!

I was in the company of 3 Bi lingual lawyers, who were detailing the most common causes of court proceedings that they have to undertake with tourists, when by total coincidence i was sent the following email from the British Embassy......I have permission to distribute it in a form other than a link.

QUOTE:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

British Embassy Madrid press release – 28 June 2012

Britons urged to avoid taking risks with the law – arrests

in Spain rise 9% last year

Alcohol-related incidents cause concern

Around half of those arrested under the age of 34

New figures reveal that between April 2011 and March 2012, British Consulates in Spain handled 1,909 arrests cases involving British nationals, a 9% increase on the previous year. The total included 141 arrests for drugs offences.

The figures are part of a worldwide increase of 6% in Britons arrested overseas, with a total of 6,015 cases against 5,700 in the previous year. Drug arrests worldwide increased by 2%, with the FCO handling 816 cases.

Minister of State for Consular Affairs, Jeremy Browne, said:

"It is important that people understand that taking risks abroad can land them on the wrong side of the law. The punishments can be very severe, with tougher prison conditions than in the UK. Whilst we will work hard to try and ensure the safety of British nationals abroad, we cannot interfere in another country’s legal system.

"We find that many people are shocked to discover that the FCO cannot get them out of jail. We always provide Consular support to British nationals in difficulty overseas. However, having a British passport does not make you immune to foreign laws and will not get you special treatment in prison."

The statistics, released in advance of the full British Behaviour Abroad report next month, show that Spain and the USA continue to show the highest cases of arrests, with Spain showing a 9% increase on the previous year.

Anecdotal evidence from Embassies and Consulates suggests many incidents are alcohol-fuelled, particularly in popular destinations such as the Canary Islands, mainland Spain and the Balearic Islands, as well as Malta and Cyprus.

Consular staff around the world spend 35% of their time handling cases of Britons who have been arrested or imprisoned. Many have unrealistic expectations of what the FCO can do for them and Brits – particularly youngsters about to embark on summer holidays – should think hard about the consequences of running into trouble with the law.

David Thomas, Consular Regional Director for Spain, said:

"The police on Mallorca and Ibiza have a zero tolerance attitude towards alcohol-fuelled offences and we see many young people being arrested for causing trouble outside bars and clubs at night.

"All too often they think they’ll spend the night in a cell sleeping off their hangover before being let out in the morning. They soon sober up when they realise their British passport does not grant them immunity and they’re alone in a foreign prison cell, unsure of when they’ll be released and unable to speak to officers because they don’t speak the language.

"It’s particularly sad to see younger people throwing away years of their lives, often as a result of a risky decision made in the heat of the moment and after a few too many drinks. Not only can you end up with a criminal record but the effects on your family can be devastating."

The Consulate in Palma, Mallorca saw the largest increase in arrests last year, while Alicante continues to have the highest total. Drug arrests are greatest on Ibiza (46) and in the Malaga region (34).

Consulate Arrests 2010/11 Arrests 2011/12 Percentage change

Alicante 507 554 +9%

Barcelona 55 63 +15%

Ibiza 179 193 +8%

Las Palmas 168 184 +10%

Madrid 115 103 -10%

Malaga 394 380 -4%

Palma 195 320 +64%

Tenerife 134 112 -16%

TOTAL 1747 1909 +9%

Notes to Editors

Top 20 countries worldwide for total arrests/detentions

Country Number of Visitors* Number of

British Residents** Total Arrests

/Detention 2011/12 Percentage increase/ decrease from 2010/11

Spain 13,600,000 808,000 1909 9%

USA 5,525,000 829,000 1305 3%

Thailand 844,224 50,000 204 2%

United Arab Emirates 1,000,000 100,000 201 -7%

Cyprus 1,069,190 59,000 164 9%

China 939,160 47,000 149 14%

France 19,300,000 253,000 142 -11%

Canada 1,000,000 611,000 123 23%

Germany 2,054,839 141,706 118 9%

Australia 614,000 1,193,000 112 -10%

Greece 1,760,000 35,000 111 -1%

Jamaica 184,355 22,000 88 2%

Norway*** 600,000 18,000 73 -8%

Egypt 1,034,000 15,000 66 94%

Turkey 2,582,054 51,000 64 -19%

Sweden*** 650,000 18,000 58 -32%

Netherlands*** 1,512,000 49,880 57 8%

Japan*** 160,761 16,044 49 -4%

India 787,000 36,000 39 44%

Belgium*** 882,000 30,000 34 26%

*These figures are based on visitor numbers provided by individual country authorities

**Source: IPPR (Institute for Public Policy Research) 2010 Figure based on Brits living in country for a year or longer

***Visitor figures were provided by the individual country authorities

Top 20 countries in order of most drug arrests

Country Number of Visitors* Number of

British Residents** Drug

Arrests 2011/12 Total arrest/ detentions 2011/12 Percentage of arrests for drugs 2011/12

USA 5,525,000 829,000 147 1305 11%

Spain 13,600,000 808,000 141 1909 7%

Jamaica 184,355 22,000 65 88 74%

Thailand 844,224 50,000 38 204 19%

Cyprus 1,069,190 59,000 29 164 18%

Norway 600,000 18,000 28 73 38%

France 19,300,000 253,000 27 142 19%

Canada 1,000,000 611,000 21 123 17%

Serbia 20,000 1,000 21 26 81%

Japan*** 160,761 16,044 17 49 35%

Sweden*** 650,000 18,000 16 58 28%

Germany 2,054,839 141,706 15 118 13%

Peru 54,000 4,000 15 17 88%

Morocco 205,000 3,000 13 27 48%

Australia 614,000 1,193,000 12 112 11%

Brazil 146,564 11,673 12 16 75%

Malta*** 434,025 9,000 12 32 38%

United Arab Emirates 1,000,000 100,000 11 201 5%

Ireland*** 4,000,000 299,000 10 28 36%

Trinidad & Tobago*** 30,844 9,000 10 14 71%

*These figures are based on visitor numbers provided by individual country authorities

**Source: IPPR (Institute for Public Policy Research) 2010 Figure based on Brits living in country for a year or longer

***Visitor figures were provided by the individual country authorities

What the FCO can - and can’t - do if you are arrested overseas

What the FCO can do to help if you are arrested or detained abroad:

- Provide general information about the relevant country, prison conditions and the local legal system, including whether local legal aid is available

- Provide a list of local lawyers and local interpreters

- Make sure any medical or dental problems are brought to the attention of the police or prison doctor

- Take up any justified complaints about ill treatment, personal safety or discrimination with the police of prison authorities

- Send money to prisoners from their families - in some countries we can also help British prisoners buy prison ‘comforts’ with money sent by their family and friends

- We can also send messages between prisoners and their families

- Put prisoners in touch with the prisoners’ welfare charity, Prisoners Abroad

- If it is possible, provide information on how a British prisoner may apply for transfer to a UK prison

What the FCO cannot do:

- Get a British national out of prison or detention, or get them special treatment because they are British

- Offer legal advice, start legal proceedings or investigate a crime

- Pay for any costs incurred as a result of being arrested

- Forward prisoners parcels sent by family and friends

- Prevent the local authorities from deporting a British national upon release

1. For further information on what to do if detained or arrested abroad, visit http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living...go-wrong/arrest

2. Travellers can research the laws and customs of Spain and other countries they may be visiting by checking out FCO travel advice in advance. The FCO also encourages people to sign up to Facebook and Twitter: www.facebook.com/fcotravel or twitter.com/fcotravel

3. The British Behaviour Abroad 2012 report, which discloses the number of consular cases handled across the globe, will be published on 19 July 2012.

For media enquiries contact

Press Office, British Embassy Madrid

+34 917 146 363 / 4

UNQUOTE::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

My Question...Why does it appear that the British have such a problem with alcohol??

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People in the UK are not used to alcohol and so like a child who has never had a sweet they gorge themselves on the fear of never doing it again.

Many European countries introduce people to alcohol early, through wines etc etc, thus giving alcohol a place in daily life with the knowledge of restraint. My sons share sparkling wine at Christmas and Easter. They are limited to 2 small glasses apiece.

Alcohol consumption is not hidden in my home and restraint is always shown. I teach my children that alcohol is for enjoyment and that it should not be used to get absolutely plastered/wrecked, safety issues and everything else.

Children in the UK are seemingly not taught how to moderate or restrain when it comes to alcohol. They seem to want to get as much in as quickly as possible, thus showing the world how childish they are. People also see over consumption as a sort of status symbol; how often do you hear people boasting about how drunk they got the night before.

When I was allowed to drink I was a social drinker, very rarely was I ever drunk and certainly never in front of my children.

My Question...Why does it appear that the British have such a problem with alcohol??
Could it just be that most of them are plonkers without alcohol and the booze just makes it worse? Or is it cultural? I know that in France young people like a skinful on a weekend, but it is socially unacceptable and illegal to be drunk in public in France, just about as bad as drink-driving is here.

Here is a link to the same press release, but the tables are easier to read.

As for the couple you refer to, I understand that they could rot for up to four years in a Spanish nick waiting for their case to come to court. I hope that they do.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

People in the UK are not used to alcohol and so like a child who has never had a sweet they gorge themselves on the fear of never doing it again.

Many European countries introduce people to alcohol early, through wines etc etc, thus giving alcohol a place in daily life with the knowledge of restraint.

An opinion but not one supported by the statistics. The UK is about the 15th heaviest consumer of alcohol in Europe, France does not come in the top 20 so it can't be because were not "used to it". I hesitate to post a link to any evidence for my assertion lest others accuse me of patronising you.

French youth can go out and get plastered at the weekend without making the city centres no go zones for others.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

As for the couple you refer to, I understand that they could rot for up to four years in a Spanish nick waiting for their case to come to court. I hope that they do.

I would imagine that they will inform the British authorities about the child situation...Im waiting for the DM article..."Spanish police(!) steal our children"....

I expect they will be bailed and chucked out of the country.

The courts are swapping jail time for expulsion now, with a suspended sentence being implemented if the try to return in a certain period.

I would imagine that they will inform the British authorities about the child situation...Im waiting for the DM article..."Spanish police(!) steal our children"....

I expect they will be bailed and chucked out of the country.

The courts are swapping jail time for expulsion now, with a suspended sentence being implemented if the try to return in a certain period.

I take it this is the case in question Dave? I'm not brilliant at the oral Spanish, but can get the gist of it when I read it.

http://www.diarioinformacion.com/vega-baja...ue/1269375.html

I take it this is the case in question Dave? I'm not brilliant at the oral Spanish, but can get the gist of it when I read it.

http://www.diarioinformacion.com/vega-baja...ue/1269375.html

That is the one...Good find! :lol: :lol: I didn't bother putting the link up as it is Spanish.

Edited by captain cojones

I really hope that the Spanish throw them in jail and foster their kids out to a nice Spanish couple. I know that this is highly unlikely, but one can hope. It seems that you can be convicted of child neglect in this country and walk, even when the neglect results in the death of the child.

Back on topic, I assume that young Spanish adults can go out at the weekend and have a skinful without making a complete ass of themselves in much the same way as the French

Back on topic, I assume that young Spanish adults can go out at the weekend and have a skinful without making a complete ass of themselves in much the same way as the French

Pretty much so, although because of the crisis some youngsters now have a thing called a "Botellon"...where they buy drink from the supermarkets and have an improvised street party instead of spending more money in a bar. Sometimes thousands of people are involved at one event.

Violence is very rare though, as people know that punishment is severe.