Would you report your catch data to help monitor the health of the waters you fish?

theoblossom

Theo,

CPEU’s are one of the most common pieces of information used in assessing the status of sea fish stocks, not fresh water sport fish. Even with sea stocks relative abundance indices based on catch per unit effort (cpue) data are notoriously problematic. The vast majority of fisheries stock assessment modeling is parametric, where specific models are assumed (i.e. in the case of sport fishing, no sport fish is ever caught twice) and fitted to data - the results of which are used to assess stock status and provide scientific advice to politicians (the EA). Often, the assumed models may not acceptably explain the data, or the data are not informative enough to estimate the parameters of even the most simple models since the data is/could be seriously tainted and repetitive of a small geographic stock and the possibility of duplicated data (or great anglers vs not so great anglers - are you asking for each anglers personal assessment of their skill level).

Certainly you are correct in soliciting “log book” information. Especially, if conditions for extrapolation of cpeu’s.

Sounds as if you will make “serious” decisions based on assumptions galore.

Phone

Again, I'm across the pond. Have you ask FWS for a "how to" opinion?

Edited by Phone

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I would not. I trust nobody.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

No I would not. I trust nobody.

How sad...

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

How sad...

Yes it shows you have never been a specimen hunter. You have missed so much.

Every time anglers have trusted people they have any information they have passed on twisted and anglers have been screwed and suffered or else the information has been used by the anti angling brigade.

In my opinion you need to think very carefully before giving anything away, then pause and think again. For its too easy to be treated as a fool or naive and it has happened far too often.

So save your sad for yourself, I am not a gullible fool to be easily conned. You are also doing work which our license should be paying for. Don't say you have not been warned.

Edited by watatoad

Yes it shows you have never been a specimen hunter. You have missed so much.

Every time anglers have trusted people they have any information they have passed on twisted and anglers have been screwed and suffered or else the information has been used by the anti angling brigade.

In my opinion you need to think very carefully before giving anything away, then pause and think again. For its too easy to be treated as a fool or naive and it has happened far too often.

So save your sad for yourself, I am not a gullible fool to be easily conned. You are also doing work which our license should be paying for. Don't say you have not been warned.

A lot of uninformed supposition in your post....as usual. What precisely are you warning me about?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Well if OP wants an insight into the reason the Angling Trust has so few members the litany of paranoia and conspiracy theories in this thread will provide rich pickings. Rarely have I read so many idiotic comments about the EA and conservation bodies. In my world - both game and coarse . but especially the former we work very closely with the EA. They have provided fantastic support in habitat management, stocking advice and so on. And of course we are open with them- I find the parochialism and sheer bloody mindedness of some clubs- 'we're not telling those buggers nowt' genuinely shocking.

I've seen some fantastic work done by the EA over the years, especially recently in my local area. I have also seen terrible environmental damage done to wonderful natural waters, many of which were very dear to me, in the name of progress - and based on 'poor catch results'. (Poor compared to massively stocked commercials.)

So I don't think it's fair to call it paranoia, and I am very careful to protect such waters now. One beautiful old gravel pit was completely destroyed in the past because of me; all because I reported a fish. That's a lesson you only need to learn once.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The EA destroyed a pit because you reported a fish ?? Or bandwagon jumping anglers doing it- I assume that's what you mean . The worst damge I have seen was done by a very well known northern club and by an Internal Drainage Board, The Club compltely vandalised a lovely chain of pits-trees ripped out, banks planed and access tracks built. It was an utter bloody disgrace and the Club (which now longer has the rights ) should hang its head in shame.IDB- put a JCB through my local trout stream- devastated it for a decade- bed ripped out ,trees removed etc. Thank God they are now having to be act more sensibly - again EA v helpful in achieving this.

The EA destroyed a pit because you reported a fish ?? Or bandwagon jumping anglers doing it- I assume that's what you mean . The worst damge I have seen was done by a very well known northern club and by an Internal Drainage Board, The Club compltely vandalised a lovely chain of pits-trees ripped out, banks planed and access tracks built. It was an utter bloody disgrace and the Club (which now longer has the rights ) should hang its head in shame.IDB- put a JCB through my local trout stream- devastated it for a decade- bed ripped out ,trees removed etc. Thank God they are now having to be act more sensibly - again EA v helpful in achieving this.

No, not the EA, club officials urged on by some members. As far as I can tell, this topic is about reporting feedback to both/either the EA and fishery managers/club officials, although I may have misunderstood (it's not very well defined).

There were a handful - about 6 as far as I could tell - of largeish carp in the water which seemingly no-one knew about. I found them accidentally by spending a lot of time watching and exploring in the closed season, in the evenings after school. They spent all their time in a very small, deep bay full of tree branches, overhanging brambles and thick Norfolk reeds. They must have emerged at night to feed, but fishing was dawn to dusk only, so no-one caught or even hooked one as far as I knew.

Having found them, I proceeded to (occasionally, and making sure no-one else was around) catch them by freelining lumps of crust right into the reeds with strong gear, and hanging on for dear life. It was so exciting :)

I then made the mistake of telling a couple of people about it (not where or how I was catching them though). They told a few other people. Several of them tried to catch them and, because they were not fishing into the overlooked snaggy bay, failed. Then news of the carp reached the angling reporter of the local paper, who put it into print. Several more people followed it up and also didn't catch any. Many people were now very frustrated and pressured the club into stocking more carp so they could catch one (this was the early 90s and the first commercials were appearing). The club did just that and filled the little pit with small F1s and little commons/mirrors, and overnight changed that lovely old pit from a pretty balanced water into a muddy hole. It was heartbreaking. The few big carp were later netted out and sold to a syndicate.

Just one example of how sharing info can stitch up not just your own fishing, but also the wider environment.

I wouldn't dream of telling people where I fish for perch or chub, the lazy glory hunters would definitely follow! Even on here I'm pretty elaborate with the truth.

PS other environmental issues relating to this are nicely illustrated by this topic I just spotted on FM: http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/coarse-...-due-flood.html

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Well if OP wants an insight into the reason the Angling Trust has so few members the litany of paranoia and conspiracy theories in this thread will provide rich pickings. Rarely have I read so many idiotic comments about the EA and conservation bodies. In my world - both game and coarse . but especially the former we work very closely with the EA. They have provided fantastic support in habitat management, stocking advice and so on. And of course we are open with them- I find the parochialism and sheer bloody mindedness of some clubs- 'we're not telling those buggers nowt' genuinely shocking.

So the people who have put the effort into replying to the original poster are idiots who are making idiotic comments?

Try reading your own post as you are coming across as a typical dictatorial left wing liberal fascist who when people have a different opinion are slagged out in this case as 'bloody minded, paranoid conspiracy theory supporting parochial idiots.'

Your unfortunate lack of both knowledge, understanding, and your total lack of manners and respect for others and their opinions astounds me, do a little research and gain some understanding. Try to get on a course to learn some manners, civility and respect for others and their opinions. Sure disagree with their opinions, their ideas, I have no problem with anyone doing that as that is everyone's right, but to attack them personally and call them names is not right.

I see no need for your unwarranted attack on people who have been asked for a response and given both their time and opinions freely. I would suggest you return to your world and leave the rest of us to live in the real world.

Edited by watatoad