Handling / Unhooking Larger Eels

philocalist

OK, I confess - eels are NOT my favourite fish :rolleyes: ... any further down the list and they'd fall off the bottom :D

The problem I'm faced with is that I've just been given access, at least until the end of the year, to a local lake that is rarely fished, being on private ground. It's not massive, runs to maybe 6 acres, and carries a good mixed stock of fish, apparently with no particular species being dominant ... and it has a habit of throwing up eels VERY regularly, often in the 3 - 4 lb range, and occasionally a bit bigger.

This is where my problem lies - it's almost certain that sooner or later I'm going to end up with one on the business end of a hook, and I really want / need to know how to handle them correctly and safely before it gets to that.

To put it into perspective, I've happily (and safely!) handled pike of all sizes for neck-end of 40 years --- but eels give me the bloody creeps! <_< ... I'm totally convinced that something the length and radius of my arm is going to chomp down on my thumb and stay there, as I try to unhook it - I've got this mental image of something thrashing about in a landing net, wrapping itself along my arm when I try to handle it and then locking its teeth into me! :D

Please - all sensible help and advice WILL be taken on board, as NOT catching one seems very unlikely :rolleyes:

OK, I confess - eels are NOT my favourite fish :rolleyes: ... any further down the list and they'd fall off the bottom :D

The problem I'm faced with is that I've just been given access, at least until the end of the year, to a local lake that is rarely fished, being on private ground. It's not massive, runs to maybe 6 acres, and carries a good mixed stock of fish, apparently with no particular species being dominant ... and it has a habit of throwing up eels VERY regularly, often in the 3 - 4 lb range, and occasionally a bit bigger.

This is where my problem lies - it's almost certain that sooner or later I'm going to end up with one on the business end of a hook, and I really want / need to know how to handle them correctly and safely before it gets to that.

To put it into perspective, I've happily (and safely!) handled pike of all sizes for neck-end of 40 years --- but eels give me the bloody creeps! <_< ... I'm totally convinced that something the length and radius of my arm is going to chomp down on my thumb and stay there, as I try to unhook it - I've got this mental image of something thrashing about in a landing net, wrapping itself along my arm when I try to handle it and then locking its teeth into me! :D

Please - all sensible help and advice WILL be taken on board, as NOT catching one seems very unlikely :rolleyes:

First of all only use barbless or circle hooks! When you land them laythem on a mat and cover their eyes with one hand and stroke them full length of their body with the other (make sure its wet to avoid removing slime) after a while they will become still and calm....keep stroking for a bit longer.Then you can unhook a lot easier and indeed hold them reasonably easy if you wiosh for a photo.Works most of the time but there are exceptions.Not deep ghooking them in the first place is the key.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

--- but eels give me the bloody creeps! <_< ... I'm totally convinced that something the length and radius of my arm is going to chomp down on my thumb and stay there, as I try to unhook it - I've got this mental image of something thrashing about in a landing net, wrapping itself along my arm when I try to handle it and then locking its teeth into me! :D

Na, just do one or two sessions catching and releasing a few conger eels and all your fears will be dispelled. All the time the fella has a hook in him, he ain't gonna do much is he, remember, your in control. :D

geoffsconger.jpg

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

First off, use a hooklength and line that is strong enough to lift the Eel with. Keep a pair of long nose pliers in your pocket. Wind in the eel and then grab the line/hooklink about 9" from the hook and lift the eel up, making sure it isn't touching anything. The eel will hang quietly and then get hold of the hook with the pliers and twist the hook out and let the eel drop into the water. As Budgie says, use barbless if possible, but if you are after a PB then I would suggest a normal barbed hook.

No slime off the eel, and none on you. Works really well, and I have caught a few hundred :) sometimes 20 a day all around 3/5 pounds.

Unless it is a big one (I've had a couple of 6's and a lot of 5's) I never try to net them, or weigh them.

Use short hooklinks (4/5") and you will lip hook almost all the eels.

Bootlaces are a nightmare...................................

Good luck with your quest, a big eel is a bit special :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Lots of advice on eel fishing at:

http://www.nationalanguillaclub.co.uk/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/National-Ang...211837208838029

Unhooking and handling: http://www.nationalanguillaclub.co.uk/unho...ndhandling.html

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

All,

Bad answers! Take a look, Philo is NOT going to fish for them. If and when - which seems inevitable - he'd just like to get it back into the water with as safely and with as little fanfair as possible.

So he's already rigged with a nice carp set-up and a really stupid 4 lb eel takes the bait. What does he do? (I'd like to know as well)

Phone

(I've never caught an eel)

So he's already rigged with a nice carp set-up and a really stupid 4 lb eel takes the bait. What does he do? (I'd like to know as well)

That about sums it up ... though I'm not after carp either, so the gear in use is likely to be considerably lighter - there are some seriously big perch in there (but apparently no pike), so lobworms / fish baits / prawns are likely to be on the menu, and equally attractive to any passing eel, no? :-)

Had a look at the NAC site before posting, and the article on there about unhooking / handling seems to gloss over any potential problems, with the main resolution being to cut the line / trace and let the eel swim off to hopefully get rid of the hook.

I like the idea of dangling / unhooking ... I guess one of my biggest questions here is regarding the possibility of getting bitten by a bigger eel - and what to do under those circumstances ... without an eel-friendly alternative I'd be taking no prisoners under those conditions ;)

Also, as pointed out smaller stuff / bootlaces can be a bit of a nightmare - any advice re handling the small stuff?

Edited by philocalist

Phone, if he is using Carp tacl;e then it should be strong enough to lift a 5lb Eel :)

Phil, Even works with bootlaces, but they do wriggle a bit more :)

Den

PS never been bitten yet :)

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I guess one of my biggest questions here is regarding the possibility of getting bitten by a bigger eel - and what to do under those circumstances ... without an eel-friendly alternative I'd be taking no prisoners under those conditions ;) stuff / bootlaces can be a bit of a nightmare - any advice re handling the small stuff?

They have no teeth, and don't bite :)

Dangling?

Hmmm!

They have a habit of lifting their tail, entwining it around their body and using it to coil up and wrap themselves around the line.

Nightmare!

If they show any sign of doing this while being dangled, give them a shake so that their tail drops back down.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

First of all only use barbless or circle hooks! When you land them laythem on a mat and cover their eyes with one hand and stroke them full length of their body with the other (make sure its wet to avoid removing slime) after a while they will become still and calm....keep stroking for a bit longer.Then you can unhook a lot easier and indeed hold them reasonably easy if you wiosh for a photo.Works most of the time but there are exceptions.Not deep ghooking them in the first place is the key.

Budgie, I tried this stroking thing, 'why not' I thought..... but it coughed, and then started to shrink.... became much more placid after that... :unsure: Did I stroke for too long?

• Like 1