Abu 706 Issue

AddictedToScopex

I’ve used closed face reels for over 30 years now and am a big fan. I’ve used a 706 for over a year now and I’m well pleased with it.

The bell housing on mine spins true so if you have a “wobble” it may be faulty so I would return to the shop. However, I don’t this would cause the reel to suddenly stop paying out line when trotting. As others have said, this may be due to the line bedding in after you have pulled against a snag or wound in with too much pressure.

Persevere with it. Once you get used to them these are great reels for trotting and for that matter, light float fishing on still waters, particularly on windy days. Lots of people don’t like the synchro drag, but when set correctly its invaluable when playing a good’un. Just don’t over fill the spool

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bell housing on mine spins true so if you have a “wobble” it may be faulty so I would return to the shop. However, I don’t this would cause the reel to suddenly stop paying out line when trotting. As others have said, this may be due to the line bedding in after you have pulled against a snag or wound in with too much pressure.

No it was definetly not just bedding in. The line was stuck fast. If it was bedding in you could still pull it out.

Pete, Yeah we will have to have a go on the other one some time. I agree the rod is very well suited to the smaller rivers and the smaller fish that inhabit them. It was very nice to use on there.

Brian, I had already tried reducing the centre screws etc and greasing with sewing machine oil on the bearing reels I have had but they never got any better. I dont know what the problem was. Perhaps its just me. Ive already said I am likely expecting too much. Maybe I overestimate the effect of the flow on pulling the line and float. I am sure I will find a rod and reel combo that suits me eventually. I love using the CF reels and I have the superteam in mind for the small rivers and I am sure I will find a rod I am happy with for the Ribble eventually. I haven't even been on the Ribble yet this season so no mad rush for that. I have the grice and youngs back now and I have never had a problem using one of those with a different rod so if I drop the shaky and get something else I am sure I wont have the problems any more. It was only on the smaller rivers that the shakespeare seemed to not want to let the line go. I would pull line off the reel and it would just sit there in a big bow between the reel and 1st eye while the float was getting held back!

Ian, You could very well be right. The marco cortesi was ok for it but I still havent found a reel that got going as well as the grice and youngs hence me buying another. Admittedly I havent spent big bucks on one yet though so that is probably why.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Ian, You could very well be right. The marco cortesi was ok for it but I still havent found a reel that got going as well as the grice and youngs hence me buying another. Admittedly I havent spent big bucks on one yet though so that is probably why.

I remember you buying an okuma recently, that should turn at the slightest hint of a pull unless something's wrong with it.

I remember you buying an okuma recently, that should turn at the slightest hint of a pull unless something's wrong with it.

Yeah it was a trent. Seemed stiffer than any other bearing real I have tried even with the drag totally off and checked and double checked. I just didnt get on with it. Would have been ok for ledgering but didnt suit me for trotting.

Addicted,

Not sure if I can be ANY help at all. I use Abumatic 1276LSi Spincast reels ALL the time (although my favorite seems to still be the Zebco Optima).

It is not common but the least wobble will throw the line, from a full spool of line off the front (or back) of the spool and wind it about the post. Is that what's happening when you say "the line is stuck fast"? While I believe you will have more confidence if you replace the reel I can tell you probably the "best" line for this style of reel is NOT a soft line. I use Berkley Big Game Inshore which I doubt is available any longer. Off the top of my head maybe Trilene XT type line. What line are you using (soft or stiff)?

The reason I'm not sure if any of my information is of use is that I don't believe we have the same Abu Garcia product line in the US as you have in the UK. All of my spincast reels are for baitcasting rods (as you would expect from America) execpt for a couple trigger models.

FYI - the Abumatic 1276LSi is a 2010 product. It is designed for braided line (which I don't use) and is said, by Berkley, to be "wear proof".

Phone

(edit: I personally have cross threaded the spool so it is possible. "fine" threads make it hardly noticeable.)

Edited by Phone

Yeah it was a trent. Seemed stiffer than any other bearing real I have tried even with the drag totally off and checked and double checked. I just didnt get on with it. Would have been ok for ledgering but didnt suit me for trotting.

Sounds like there was definatly a problem with it, maybe why the seller sold it cheap ? Thet reel should have rotated with the slightest of pressure.

I think Phone has a point regarding crossing the threads when putting the bell housing on your CF reel. As he said it's very easy to do.

I have two pins, the original Sheffield and the AN pin. Both are bearing reels rather than true pins, and both start spinning freely with very little pressure, especially the AN pin. So ATS, I reckon that might be a problem with that specific reel.

To see how much pressure it takes to start the spool rotating I laid a rod flat on a table outside with each reel on, threaded the line through the eyes and left a couple of feet dangling from the top eye, and pinched split shot on to see how little weight was needed to get the reel rotating (a fairer real-world test than seeing how long they spin for). The Sheffield took one no.4; the AN pin one no.6.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Sounds like there was definatly a problem with it, maybe why the seller sold it cheap ? Thet reel should have rotated with the slightest of pressure.

I think Phone has a point regarding crossing the threads when putting the bell housing on your CF reel. As he said it's very easy to do.

It is probably easily done but this one had wobble out of the box and the threads seemed fine. No sign of crossthreading. Doesnt matter too much now as it has gone back for replacement.

Guest bbamboo

I have a pair of 706s, one of them does have slight wobble but it does not effect the line coming of the spool because the bell cap does not move when the line is trotted of the spool. If you load the spool with the right amount of line the beding in is not a major problem about 80 turns of the handle when you load up is about right or 50yds of line. If you get a big fish on you may have to feed the line off with the left hand on next trott but thats standard practice for match anglers.

Hope thats some help

Edited by bbamboo

Everyone else here suggesting ABU reels. I'd suggest s Shimano in stead. Look for one with an aero wrap system that prevents dig in of the line. I've got two Shimano reels that I use regularly. the one is from 1990 (Aero GT 3000), and the other is a newer version (Stradic 1000). Both with the aero wrap system. Neither have ever caused me any problems. Also while working at a sports store for 18 years Shimano only had a fraction of the issues of all the other reel brands together.

<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))>< www.countryfisher.org www.countryfisher.com ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>