Fish are individuals

RUDD

Have you ever caught a fish or two on a bait and then sit biteless, then changed the bait or bait size and had an almost instant instant bite?

From my match fishing days I figured that every fish is an individual and started taking various makes and sizes of Hook pellets to matches along with meat, corn, bread and maggots/caster.

It used to make me chuckle when at the end of a match an angler would say 'couldnt get a bite on pellet yet the angler next to them caught on pellet.

I figured out that once an area had been feed with an attractant (groundbait, micro pellets etc)

and fish had moved in to investigate that they all do not want the same thing IE one or two may take corn, another a 6mm expander, the next a 4mm banded hard pellet etc etc

It could be that some are fooled by a certain presentation whilst others are not or some are wary of a bait they have been caught on recently.

Whilst above worked most of the time:

On some days I found only one type of pellet will work that does not even resemble the feed pellets whilst on other days I have had to get a match both in size and colour of the feed pellets to get a bite.

Then there were days when they would take anything offered or you could not get a bite on pellet no matter what type, size or colour yet changing to another bait gets a response.

What I am getting at is that fish are individuals and like ourselves dont eat the same thing day in day out - it always pays to try a quick bait change when bites dry up.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

What I am getting at is that fish are individuals and like ourselves dont eat the same thing day in day out

I think you've just given Phone an apoplectic fit! ;):D

If all fish are equal, consider this - why is it when you have a population of recognisable fish of about the same size, of the same species, and in the same environment, some get caught all the time, some get caught once in a blue moon, and some never get caught?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

If all fish are equal, consider this - why is it when you have a population of recognisable fish of about the same size, of the same species, and in the same environment, some get caught all the time, some get caught once in a blue moon, and some never get caught?

...anyone...?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Androo,

Without touching the original subject head on I have read "studies" to support some of what RUDD says (gulp!). Within the egg cluster - first hatchlings and largest hatchlings (fry) have an advantage that is life lasting. This is supposed to be true even among shoaling fish. It is "said" first fry are the "smartest". There is substantial evidence - - - but to attribute intellictual providence rather than an instinctive or environmental advantage is suspect. Don't ask if I entirely believe either view.

Phone