Smile shutter doesnt work 100%

Andy_1984

a feature of my camera (fuji s1850) is the smile shutter.

its for taking self portraits which detects if you smile and takes the pic. Problem is though it never seems to work 100% the only way i can get it to detect me smiling is if i smile to look like a deranged loonatic.

thought it would be a brilliant feature when taking photos of myself with fish as the self timer is only 10 seconds and if you want a second pic you need to go through all the menu to set it to 10 seconds after a pic has been taken, hard when your holding a fish <_<

anyone else tried this feature if you have it and any tips of perhaps getting it to work better? light, distance etc etc

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

mines the same ,not a very good feature ,on the other hand its over zealous in its blink feature :(

mines a 2950 ,pretty good snaps though all the same

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

a feature of my camera (fuji s1850) is the smile shutter.

its for taking self portraits which detects if you smile and takes the pic. Problem is though it never seems to work 100% the only way i can get it to detect me smiling is if i smile to look like a deranged loonatic.

thought it would be a brilliant feature when taking photos of myself with fish as the self timer is only 10 seconds and if you want a second pic you need to go through all the menu to set it to 10 seconds after a pic has been taken, hard when your holding a fish <_<

anyone else tried this feature if you have it and any tips of perhaps getting it to work better? light, distance etc etc

Smile shutter detection is dependant on a lot of factors. It works on several key features tha " make" a smile.

It certainly detects, height of cheeks, size of eyes and if it can detect the telltale hint if teeth in a face.

Trouble is many features can disguise or simply bugger up the process; un shaven faces, sun glasses, hiding your mouth or being slightly turned away, as well as certain, for want of a better phrase, genetic key features...ie Asian eyes or similar that might effect the algorithms involved.

The technology is very very clever but can be easily fooled as well.

You might want to check for a firmware upgrade of your camera; several companies upgrade the features and suchlike via firmware updates and I've seen face recognition features updated by better software.

UPDATE

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_ca...s2500hd_series/

Would appear latest firmware only tweaks playback etc...nothing on face detection

Edited by kirisute

I've just been given a Canon SX40 as a present from all the family. It has both smile and wink settings, the first I've ever used.

Unfortunately neither worked reliably at all!

However, like many Canons, it does have a custom self-timer. This allows me to set the delay for anything between 2 and 30 seconds, and take from 1 to 10 pictures without returning to the camera. Coupling this with a fully revolving screen so that you can see that you and fish are positioned just right makes multiple trophy shots dead easy!

Unfortunately Canon have dropped the fully revolving screen (they call it Variangle) from their less expensive models, but have revived it on the G series from the G11 on and kept it on their Superzooms. However the inexpensive Powershot 600 series series make good secondhand buys as fishing cameras, having both Variangle screens and custom self-timers.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net