How sensitive is a Method Feeder?

BML

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All,

"?" Someone - anyone - help me out here so that I may reply to Darren.

Darren,

Is your post in reference to that part of my post you've encapsulated above your post?

Phone

No I was joking about the fact that you would label your rod?

Edited by DarrenBranks

Bml,

If you listen to my help I hope that it does you good. But I may be about to under some scrutiny. Even tho my post was and still is completely relevant to your question. Im hoping that phone may see this before he jumps the gun.

Phone,

I just find it strange that people would label their rods, anyone?

As for what your asking. People help me out so that you may replie to me, well as you have very often pointed out your a big boy so I think you should man up and do it on your own.

Darren,

No problem. I just didn't understand. Each state (50) writes and enforces there own fishing regulations. We have no national or federal laws about "how you can fish". Some states have a ONE rod rule. Some have unlimited number of rods. And - some have a combination of rules. Different kinds of "poles" (in the text you use the word) have different rules than rods. Labeling is a common practice - especially if your rod or pole is left unattended. We, in the US, would call a 3 rod carp setup with a bivy "unattended".

As for asking for help. Often I don't understand how you use (misuse) the Queens English. The meaning of certain phrases and words don't always travel across the pond with the same intention. Many on AN have fished in the US and can "interpert". I can often do the same for UK guys here in the states.

Phone

Darren,

"Bank alarms" do not constitute attending your equipment any more than a float.

Phone

Edit: I had to look it up. Here, in MO, (one of the 50 sets of rules) "attended" is in hand or arms reach. (I might add, rarely enforced except for "bank poles" (a kind of pole we use where an angler can have 33 at the same time no closer than 12ft apart. Jug lines only have to be checked every 12 hrs. but they have to be marked with your name.

Edited by Phone

I use method feeders but I set them up my own way, rather than using the accepted 'swivel jammed in the bottom' method.

I set mine up as follows...

Hair/Hook > Hooklength > Swivel > Bead > Method Feeder > Bead > Float Stop

By doing so, I can move the float stop up and down to suit my own ends. By moving the float stop up the line, I have essentially a sliding rig, which allows me to watch the tip, which I would rather do if the action is frantic enough. By sliding the float stop down, I have a bolt-rig, which I can leave to it's own devices.

I also not a fan of the jamming the swivel idea. I've fished in silkweed and fine grit and the swivel has become quite jammed to the point where the swivel won't pull free of the method feeder easily and I'm just not into anything that might, as unlikely as it seems, act as a tether rig, should the line part for any reason. By using a float stop to create the 'bolt' effect, I can fish safe in the knowledge that should my line part, the line should pull through easily, dumping the rig behind.

As for watching the tip, yes it's lovely and that but I've done quite a few 2 day tench sessions and these fish aren't exactly thick in the water. On top of that, most of them come along at last/first light, so watching the tip isn't that viable. That said, I can still leave the option of a sliding rig open, should the fish come round in any kind of numbers, at a time when I can see more than 6 feet from my eyes. It only requires moving my float stop.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Addicted,

I could not find a site with photos that suited me for a UK sensitive audience. You can proceed at your own peril to google "bankline poles" and get the idea.

Personally, I use(d) willow 12 - 15 ft in length when I used to bankline along the several rivers in my area. Mostly the Missouri River.

I cut and pasted this from the regulations should you wish to search other legal methods.

""""You may take fish by pole and line, trotline, throwline, limb line, bank line and jug line. Ice fishing tackle, or tip-ups, are considered a pole-and-line method.

Certain species in designated waters may be taken by the use of bow, crossbow, gig, atlatl, snare or by underwater spearfishing, snagging or grabbing. However, game fish not hooked in the mouth or jaw must be returned to the water unharmed immediately, except paddlefish legally taken during the paddlefish snagging season. All of the above methods of taking fish are considered sport fishing methods."""""

It's just "different".

Phone