How sensitive is a Method Feeder?

BML

The easy answer to that Rudd, is I don't fish overstocked commercials. :D

On such waters there's no need to put several bolt rigs out, in my opinion one attended rod is enough.

John.

I would have to agree - I am also very against pleasure anglers fishing a 'snide rod' as well as a pole on any type of water - a dangerous practice in my view.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't use bolt rigs Brian, and as you say it's an individual choice. In my mind there's a fine line between them, and a 'set' rig.

I'm not against anyone using them when needed, but they are used now as a 'universal' rig. I see them used with multi rod setups, on well stocked waters, where they are not needed, and often see two or more fish hooked at once, and the angler struggle to land fish, or worse, have them snagged. When used like that it's more like trapping than angling. As you know the rig was devised to hook 'twitchers', and was/is very successful, (a complete turn around from the thinking of the time).

It's just a personal thing, in that I like to enjoy the bit of fishing time I get, and I wouldn't enjoy using a method I don't like.

I would never call for a ban on any legal method, and I do things that some others don't approve of, eg, I often use a keepnet where I think appropriate.

It's just what I'm comfortable with.

John.

You say you don't use bolt rigs John, but have you ever tried pulling the rod tip round by a hook in your mouth? Can't be easy without hooking yourself especially if the line is running through a feeder and your not pulling in a dead straight line. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

You say you don't use bolt rigs John, but have you ever tried pulling the rod tip round by a hook in your mouth? Can't be easy without hooking yourself especially if the line is running through a feeder and your not pulling in a dead straight line. :)

I understand what your saying Brian, I should have said,"I don't intentionally use a self hooking rig". It's virtually impossible to guarantee that a fish won't hook itself on any rig, but by not using a 'heavy' weight a few inches from the hook, I usually have to strike the hook home. I try to use the least amount of 'lead' I can get away with, and look for dropbacks as well as pull rounds. Plus, I don't sleep or leave the rod unattended, while fishing. I know I'm 'old school' in my methods, but as I said before, I'm comfortable with it. :)

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I would have to agree - I am also very against pleasure anglers fishing a 'snide rod' as well as a pole on any type of water - a dangerous practice in my view.

What is a snide rod? Like a sleeper rod?

Dave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

What is a snide rod? Like a sleeper rod?

Dave

Yes, although some unscrupulous types also use the phrase to mean a rod used in addition to the number allowed by the fishery rules, or one not covered by the rod licence(s) carried by the angler!

FYI

We call a "snide" rod a "poacher pole". We don't "pole" fish in the US like you do on that side of the pond as distinguished from rod fishing. It takes another complete discriptive sentence if we are using a pole as a pole.

In some states a "poacher pole" is legal if you have your name and address clearly marked on the handle (usually a tag). "Limitations" are often by "hooks or hook points" rather than bank kit.

Phone

FYI

We call a "snide" rod a "poacher pole". We don't "pole" fish in the US like you do on that side of the pond as distinguished from rod fishing. It takes another complete discriptive sentence if we are using a pole as a pole.

In some states a "poacher pole" is legal if you have your name and address clearly marked on the handle (usually a tag). "Limitations" are often by "hooks or hook points" rather than bank kit.

Phone

We also have "poacher poles" who use snide rods :o

Can I say that :rolleyes:

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I understand what your saying Brian, I should have said,"I don't intentionally use a self hooking rig". It's virtually impossible to guarantee that a fish won't hook itself on any rig, but by not using a 'heavy' weight a few inches from the hook, I usually have to strike the hook home. I try to use the least amount of 'lead' I can get away with, and look for dropbacks as well as pull rounds. Plus, I don't sleep or leave the rod unattended, while fishing. I know I'm 'old school' in my methods, but as I said before, I'm comfortable with it. :)

John.

You sit comfy John, I'm deffo not calling the old school. Ive learned a lot more from fishing that way than i ever will sleeping in a bivvy and a lot more form old school anglers than i ever will from the younger ones. :thumbs:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Phone

Well Phone I can and won't ever understand what you guys get up to,;)

If I fish a feeder it's on a running rig. As in my feeder is on my main line sliding freely using a swivel to stop it with a hook length as short as you like. When a unsuspecting fish takes the bait it can run with no weight at all(providing you have your drag on) The fish doesn't need to stay on top of the feeder fighting and scrapping to get away it just takes and runs as usall then I strike. I find this method personally more pleasing and tbh I think the fish do although I have no proff.

Darren