Livebaits for Perch tail or lip hooking

JV44

For those out targeting big Perch wich of the above?? I ask as mainly lip hook and have had a few fish this trip but no monsterts but i have tried the last couple of days tail hooking and lost a couple of strong fish today using this method [first i susspect was a turbo Jack second wasnt coz i saw it .

Dace livebait visable sticking far out of its gob ,Just wondering if it affects hooking?? less deep hooking?? Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those out targeting big Perch wich of the above?? I ask as mainly lip hook and have had a few fish this trip but no monsterts but i have tried the last couple of days tail hooking and lost a couple of strong fish today using this method [first i susspect was a turbo Jack second wasnt coz i saw it .

Dace livebait visable sticking far out of its gob ,Just wondering if it affects hooking?? less deep hooking?? Steve

Hi Steve

I have also wondered whats best and am unsure.

I have been tail hooking with a size 4 and have caught lots of small perch. I assume catching small ones the hooking ability is fine.

If the presentation is Ok I don,t know but I did catch a 12 lb common carp on the same rig sunken pat dyson style recently.

John

Lip hook it mate. When the perch takes the livie, it's already going down in the right direction, so there's less chance of a missed strike. If the prey is tail-hooked, the perch will want to turn it round and while this occurs, you might strike into fresh air.

Just make sure you set the hook pretty sharpish though. Perch being perch don't have any table manners, so the longer you leave it to set the hook home, the greater the chance of you deep-hooking the fish and that's wrong....WRONG Y'HEAR!!....lol

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Ste, I always lip hook my baiters but I only use a small hook...an animal in say 14's. I just nick the hook through the outer edge of the baiters lip/membrane so when I strike it pulls straight out very easily. I like to think it gives the baiter a good chance of survival as when the hook pulls out it's only a small pluck out of the outer menbrane of skin.

Just out of interest when i've watched perch engulf my baiters they always take them from behind and unlike pike have never tried to swallow them head first so it is advisable to strike asap...as I know you will already know :).

Hi Steve

I have also wondered whats best and am unsure.

I have been tail hooking with a size 4 and have caught lots of small perch. I assume catching small ones the hooking ability is fine.

If the presentation is Ok I don,t know but I did catch a 12 lb common carp on the same rig sunken pat dyson style recently.

John

John bet that Carp went a bit on the Perch gear ,Been playing around with a few rigs whilst we have been downriver this week and all caught me fish but interestingly one rod thin wire one rod flouro regardless of type of rig caught even numbers of fish ....not scientific i know and maybe a venue specific freak

Getting excited now its Autumn Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Phone

""""Fishing with minnows.

Hook the fish directly upwards through both lips when river fishing or moving the [minnow] fish about. When still bobber fishing impale the hook just below the back fin, paying careful attention not to nick the spine, which can cause paralysis."""""

I didn't say that. I don't predator fish much.

Phone

Edit: seem to be as many opinions in the US as there are in the UK. (I'll ask at coffee in the AM)

Edited by Phone

Ste, I always lip hook my baiters but I only use a small hook...an animal in say 14's. I just nick the hook through the outer edge of the baiters lip/membrane so when I strike it pulls straight out very easily. I like to think it gives the baiter a good chance of survival as when the hook pulls out it's only a small pluck out of the outer menbrane of skin.

Just out of interest when i've watched perch engulf my baiters they always take them from behind and unlike pike have never tried to swallow them head first so it is advisable to strike asap...as I know you will already know :) .

Ian having watched em tail nip baits before i was just trying to see if i could rig something to take advanyage of there habit ,Back home Sunday so got a few local bits to try locally whilst there is still enough time in the evenings .

With the sunken float pat/CD rigs I am tail hooking. I find that the baits last longer and work harder this way, and are better able to withstand longer casts. All perch have been neatly hooked in the lips. When lip hooking the baits, I was getting a few perch hooked well back in the throat despite quick striking. I had 3 perch this evening on tail hooked lives, all neatly hooked, but no big ones. It's an effective method but not very size selective! Exciting though as you don't know if the next fish will be a greedy half pounder or a real lump.

One other thing, we've now started to hit bites as soon as there's any indication, rather than waiting for a really positive take. This seems to work in picking up bonus fish before they decide to drop the bait. Having the bait tail hooked really helps here I think, as we're trying to hook the fish before they've properly grabbed the bait, and are just nipping at the tail.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

With the sunken float pat/CD rigs I am tail hooking. I find that the baits last longer and work harder this way, and are better able to withstand longer casts. All perch have been neatly hooked in the lips. When lip hooking the baits, I was getting a few perch hooked well back in the throat despite quick striking. I had 3 perch this evening on tail hooked lives, all neatly hooked, but no big ones. It's an effective method but not very size selective! Exciting though as you don't know if the next fish will be a greedy half pounder or a real lump.

One other thing, we've now started to hit bites as soon as there's any indication, rather than waiting for a really positive take. This seems to work in picking up bonus fish before they decide to drop the bait. Having the bait tail hooked really helps here I think, as we're trying to hook the fish before they've properly grabbed the bait, and are just nipping at the tail.

Been fishing big lives for a while and even they dont seem to be much more selective ,had a few where the bait has been pushed up the trace hence the trial of tail hooking but going to keep at it as your results have proven it to be very worthwhile and your comments are what i was thinking/hoping you would say .

Anderoo what size/make of hooks are you using out of interest and what diam/BS flouro if you don't mind me asking Steve

I think i'd fish a sunken paternoster if there was a problem with snags or weed etc. I like letting the baiter roam a little with the thought that it looks a little more natural.

In all honesty i've not had one deep hooked perch when using lip hooked live baits. Obviously my method of lightly hooking the baiter wouldn't be suitable for casting but i've found it good for under arm lobs or just plopping in close by and really does give good hook ups.