Which rod for Barbel

wotnobivvy

I have read recently of anglers using 4-5 oz leads to hold bottom when fishing fast flowing rivers for barbel. What power rods are needed for this, and does it spoil the enjoyment of playing them on "normal" tackle

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I have read recently of anglers using 4-5 oz leads to hold bottom when fishing fast flowing rivers for barbel. What power rods are needed for this, and does it spoil the enjoyment of playing them on "normal" tackle

I've often pondered the same question, never having the need for such weights in freshwater ... it's bad enough trying to launch leads that size with a beachcaster! :D

Wotnob,

Your question begs a question. Is it common to fish a river flooding its banks?

Phone

It is for me, but I don't use big leads, I just fish different places to normal, often on the move bouncing a lump of Spam through, but if I'm fishing static I look for places where a smallish lead will come to rest. I very rarely go over 2oz.

My all time best ever flood swim on the Avon needed just two swan shot about a third of the way across when there was 9" of water going over the banks, I had to wade across knee deep flooded fields for 20 minutes just to get to it.

I would hazard a guess no one posting so far has tried ledgering on a proper spate river in full flood, just them girly south and south/easterly things. :)

A 1.75tc should underarm lob a 4oz lead 20-30 yards out into the flow. 2lb tc will do the same with up to 6oz.

In a really really big flood on my local river even having 6oz weights in your bag might not save you from being washed off. Its not just the extra flow, but the rubbish that comes down with it that your up against.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I would hazard a guess no one posting so far has tried ledgering on a proper spate river in full flood, just them girly south and south/easterly things. :)

A 1.75tc should underarm lob a 4oz lead 20-30 yards out into the flow. 2lb tc will do the same with up to 6oz.

In a really really big flood on my local river even having 6oz weights in your bag might not save you from being washed off. Its not just the extra flow, but the rubbish that comes down with it that your up against.

I agree with all of this (especially that 1.75 test is tough enough), having fished spate rivers almost exclusively in the past, but if I ever needed more than 4oz in the main flow it was time to find a nice slack.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

I use leads up to 6oz to fish the Tees when theres a bit of water in and use 1.75lb Wychwood rods and they're great to fish with and the extra weight makes no difference at all when you've a decent fish on

Got to remember though that casting weights like that is a big no no , best you can do is a gentle underarm lob or swing the lead into position otherwise you'll snap the rods

Edited by Brian Carragher