Need a new headtorch/light

RUDD

For a good few years I have been using a couple of energiser led headtorches - four settings on them, spot, flood, mixed and red.

Both have done well and have been perfect for my needs,

For general night work they are fine when fishing static as not to bright or heavy but I have found they are not up to the task of beach fishing or lighting the way when walking to peg/car/beach etc (or biking, which I do a fair bit of).

Also I seen to have lost one and need a replacement.

Been having a look at head lights with Cree Leds and like the look of H7 Lensers, Princetown Apex etc - but the prices are a tad on the high side.

There are hundreds of cree light on ebay from Hongkong / china etc - most of which are going to be copies.

Does anyone have any recomendations for a decent headtorch/light or know of any reputable ebay sellers?

I have spoken to a few beach anglers with HK/CN copies that were working fine but could they remember which sellar they got them from!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Rudd,

You touch on a point I've pondered recently. Seems you can now buy headlamps that are E X T R E M L Y bright. I wonder if any are available with a variable switch?

I honestly think I'd buy two or three @ $10.00 each rather than one of the expensive lamps at - - - say $50.00. Head lamps aren't "tarty" are they?

Phone

i was going on about Cree leds on the non fishing section.

im a big fan of them. some can be stupidly bright. my own little dinky single! cree led torch can whack out a fair bit on full batteries.

for beaches and walking home in the dark they are great for lighting up quite a fair bit around you and in front of you great visibility for up to 30/40ft ?

i often take it out if im going to the shop at like 12am onwards. they seriously dazzle you and screw up your vision for a while if you get it straight in the eye, enough time to leg it or throw a quick punch.

mines is a teclite lumen master, the first model i think as its got a problem with power leak from the button. my mate got 3 from costco for £15 and gave me one for a fiver :)

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

For a good few years I have been using a couple of energiser led headtorches - four settings on them, spot, flood, mixed and red.

Both have done well and have been perfect for my needs,

For general night work they are fine when fishing static as not to bright or heavy but I have found they are not up to the task of beach fishing or lighting the way when walking to peg/car/beach etc (or biking, which I do a fair bit of).

Also I seen to have lost one and need a replacement.

Been having a look at head lights with Cree Leds and like the look of H7 Lensers, Princetown Apex etc - but the prices are a tad on the high side.

There are hundreds of cree light on ebay from Hongkong / china etc - most of which are going to be copies.

Does anyone have any recomendations for a decent headtorch/light or know of any reputable ebay sellers?

I have spoken to a few beach anglers with HK/CN copies that were working fine but could they remember which sellar they got them from!!!!

This might be a good one, at a midrange price

I don't have an LED headlight but I have a couple of Cluson lamps, the CB2 for work and the MG150 mounted on a rifle. The lamps are well made and do what they say on the tin. They also are very good for spares...on the rare occasion that you need them!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

The discount ones are fine. Mine's from Aldi and cost 3 or 4 quid, perhaps the same number of years ago. It has a cluster of 8 leds, and 3 intensity settings. The lowest setting is ideal for baiting/rigging up and also for landing fish; the highest setting's just the job for walking back in the dark. Battery life's brilliant - it takes 3 AAAs, which last me more than a full season.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

I use a 1200 Lumen LED on the handlebars on my bike (It came with a headstrap) and have a 400 Lumen LED strapped to my helmet.

I wouldn't use either for fishing as they are far to bright and don't change position easily.

For fishing, I just use a bog standard Energizer which has plenty of output for walking around, has both a red and a white low power modes and is easily adjusted so that the beam fires at my hands instead of sweeping across the water.

Obviously, I also carry a decent torch in my bag and often a spare.

Power isn't everything.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.