where did they come from

gadge

another puzzler [to me]. after reading so many depressing statements such as, there are no large cod around our coast and the days of decent cod fishing in our waters has ended. it seems there has been a sudden upsurge in the numbers of cod in double figures and up to 30lb + in weight. my question is, where have they suddenly appeared from. the reports and pictures have been outstanding of late by anglers. but the the reason for the sudden influx poses the question, where have they been.

I have no answer to your question, but I heard of at least three 30lb cod being caught last weekend. Just goes to show that anglers who get out there tend to find the fish :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Denmark following the massive sprat and Herring shouls which are massive due to lack of big predators in recent years???

Anglers on Orford Island at the weekend were catching 2lb+ whiting which are massive for coastal caught fish - all were spewing out sprats.

The strange thing is there are Big cod getting caught from boats but only small Codling not even averaging 2lb from the shore - where are the Mid sized fish?

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Quite a few middle sized fish coming out of the Bristol Channel! Over the past few years codling numbers have increased along with average sizes from their. Not too surprising, the cyclical boom and bust of certain fish seems to be the start of a boom for cod...as in the 70s! Even been catching codling inshore from Cardigan Bay over the last couple of years...now that was a surprise!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Quite a few middle sized fish coming out of the Bristol Channel! Over the past few years codling numbers have increased along with average sizes from their. Not too surprising, the cyclical boom and bust of certain fish seems to be the start of a boom for cod...as in the 70s! Even been catching codling inshore from Cardigan Bay over the last couple of years...now that was a surprise!

Worms - there seem to be two Cod runs - East Coast and West Coast.

Whilst Cod fishing in the Bristol channel and west coast gets better the East coast E Anglia down to Kent has been in fast decline.

Four or Five years ago we had a codling boom on the east coast with decent sized mid single weights whilst the west coast fishing was poor.

On the East coast at present boat anglers are getting big Cod whilst shore anglers may be lucky to get a few small Codling upto 2lb.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• 2 weeks later...
Worms - there seem to be two Cod runs - East Coast and West Coast.

Whilst Cod fishing in the Bristol channel and west coast gets better the East coast E Anglia down to Kent has been in fast decline.

Four or Five years ago we had a codling boom on the east coast with decent sized mid single weights whilst the west coast fishing was poor.

On the East coast at present boat anglers are getting big Cod whilst shore anglers may be lucky to get a few small Codling upto 2lb.

The northeast coast has had a bumper year for quality fish from the shore a 16 lb and 17lb cod recently this is the results from a shore match recently.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/in...p?topic=29006.0

paul.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg