Shrimp for salmon ¡ help¡

Inaki Reyero

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hooks we use are Partridge Outpoint X1 or X3 in Black finish. An alternative is the Kamasan B990 which is a heavier Bronze hook.

Floats were mentioned in my earlier post.

Weights are only used directly below the floats to 'cock' it and depending on the float can be anything from split shot to drilled bullets or combination of both.

Mick - http://www.jackfish.net

The impossible I do at once, miracles take a little bit longer.

Thank you Mickj

I will try to get the suitable tackes as soon as posible.

In summer time the fresh salmons will be smalls 2 or 3 kg only, but take well the bait.

The problem will be that the depht of the river change in few metres from 1 metres to 4 metres more or less, and this could be a serious problem.

What is the maximum depth that it can be used this technique? more or less.

I know that in the united kingdom you dye the shrimp of diferent colors, here only boiled shrimps with out tint.

For deeper water, say over 2 metres, you could move the weights down the line to keep the bait nearer the fish. I don't think there is a maximun depth as some of our waters are well over 4 metres when carrying a heavy water.

We use dyed shrimp in bright red and purple, very few UK anglers use the natural ones. Red is probably the most popular, at least I sell most of this colour.

Mick - http://www.jackfish.net

The impossible I do at once, miracles take a little bit longer.

I spoke to my friend this weekend and he said that Mick's way was a good way to go, my friend fishes mainly shallow gravel runs with his style. the idea is that the bait falls over the rocks, he says Mick's way is the safest way to start if you are not to lose all your gear.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Thank you Phil

Despite of the spanish rivers has deep and calm pool I want to try it.I am worry because maybe that fishing deep the fish doens´t keep enough time the bait inside his mouth for hooking well. Yesterday begun the salmon fishing season in north of spain, the first atlantic salmon that was fished weighed 7 kg, and was fished in Eo river.

Iñaki Reyero

Hi Iñaki and welcome to Angler's Net.

If the river has varying depth, you could try free-lining the worms and shrimps. Just use enough SSG split shot to sink the bait clamped over a piece of silicon tubing about 30 cm from the hook. Let the bait roll around the likely areas feeling the line for bites.

Do you use flying 'C' lures in Spain?

It sounds like there's some very good fishing where you live!

[ 23. March 2004, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Lid ]

Hi Lid

That is the technique we use to fish salmon in the cantabrian mountains, a lon rod 8 or 9 m or something like that, a hook witk a cooked shrimp and two worms, somethimes we use a cooked shrimp with a live shrimp. 1 m over the hook we place a big split shot to get enough depht. Besides of that we use Rapalas, spoons and of course flies ( tube and clasic flies, nymphs etc....).

Whats the meaning of flyng 'C' lures??there are more methods for salmon fishing in United Kingdom??

The fish in north spain is quite good, there are not a lot of salmons, but we have a good number of trouts, but no so good as scotland or ireland, in fact a lot of spanish fisherman go to ireland for fishing salmon.

Thank you Lid and phil

Is posible to set pictures in this forum??