halibut boilies for barbel

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don`t use pellet hookbaits any more, get more problems than its worth. The main part of my feed is Dynamite Marine halibuts so I just use one or two of their 10mm boilies. Sometimes go for the 15mm but its still in the experimental stage so I can`t comment on results.

If the feed is made up of 4, 6 8 and 10mm pellets then the barbel can honestly not tell the difference and if they could they would probably prefer the boilie because its softer. Pellets lighten in the water and end up the same tone as boilies anyway. The beauty of boilies is you know they`re not going to split and come off. I`ve never bought into the superglue idea, not that I don`t think it works but purely on the basis of confidence. If need be I can leave a boilie hookbait out for a few hours safe in the knowledge its still on, something I could never say when I was using pellets.

wolf.gif

some interesting thoughts coming from this thread, i have never, and thought i would never use boIlies for barbel, i've caught some decent barbel (and chub and river carp) on halibut pellets and use a (widely known!!) secret method for attaching them to the hair and have total confidence in this method, but you never know, i may give boilies a go one day soon!

Apart from one time, I have only ever used boilies for barbel. Trigga were my usual mainstay, but I have found the halibut pellet ones to be just as successful. I did try using pellets once and I did catch more barbel - but they were all considerably smaller than the ones I usually catch.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.