Best Centrepin / Rod combo

Martin Hemington

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I couldn't resist posting about one of my favorite combos. I have a 13' G. Loomis IMX that was custom wrapped by John Witzke in Waterloo, On. Canada. The reel I use is an Islander Steelheader. The reel pays out line with the slightest current and I've brought in a bunch of steelies with the combo. But a reel I really want is an Angling Specialties reel with the anti-reverse.

Randy

http://www.questoutdoors.net

Hey guys, here are some examples of the float rods we use with centrepins here in the United States and Canada. I have included a few links for you all to check out. I use Damon rods but Sage, Loomis, and Raven are commonly used. We use these rods for ranging in length from 13 feet to 15 feet for steelhead and trout. They are generally light action rods.

http://www.float-fishing-specialties.com/

http://www.fishusa.com/tackleshop/

http://www.damonrods.com/main_pages/center_pin.htm

Without a doubt,my new Okuma Aventa Pro Center-pin,matched with my Drennan stick float rod....BRILL,....for the money these Okumas are without a doubt "THE" best value reels on the market today.

"Dont **** in the pool,and then tell me you"ve swallowed some water".

I followed the link to the American float rods, very interesting. Gorgeous finish to the rods. What was surprising was the use of wood in the handles, looked a tad clumsey to my eyes but very attractive nevertheless.

At one time I was refinishing rods to flog at a carboot sale. Nice little earning while it lasted but the rods that wouldn't sell were ones where I had used turned wood on the handles. Just not an English thing I suppose.

Wooden reel seats are quite common on fly rods Peter and when I was building rods several crap yobs specified them as well.Not my cup of tea mind you.

As for my choice of trotting rod and reel,well.Ive used many types of trotting/float/match rod over the years.From very expensive Normark rods to relatively cheap Shakespeare ones.In lengths up to 13' there isnt that much difference! Forget quality of build/fittings/finnish etc what Im talking about is their actual ability as a tool to do the job.This is certainly a credit to the modern tackle industry.In the 70's there was a world of difference between the ABU All Englands,Hardy Matchmakers,B&W CTM's etc and the cheaper rods.

When you start looking at the 14'and 15' rods that are now more popular for trotting then I think the difference starts to show.The more expensive rods certainly have a better balance/feel and very little "tip droop".But as for preference? I cant make my mind up!

For the perfect trotting reel (well for top and bottom floats at least) the pin obviously rules supreme.Once again I have owned many different and varying quality reels.As with rods regardless of price the top few have very little to differentiate between them.For value and "not worried if I scratch it" useability it must be either the Leeds or the Okuma.I speak with authority about the Leeds having used one for many years.I havnt got an Okuma yet so Im basing this on what Ive seen and others whose opinions I respect have told me.

I cant see what a Witcher or similar would give me in practical terms.After all even though they were far better engineered neither my Areial or Dave Swallow (which I recently sold)ever caught me any more than my old Leeds! Did like the Adcock Stanton I owned during my match fishing days.Wish I had kept it even though the lack of a check was a pain.If I remember right it wasnt as expensive as the modern pins but a bit more than a Leeds.

[ 27. February 2005, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!