How much do you pay for a pint?

Howard 13

Many years ago, late 80's, when I was in London for a few summers, we were paying £1.20 for lager. So now in England you're paying between £1.50 and £2.00 for your beer? This sounds all right to me. Though £2.55 (4 Euro) does sound like a rip-off, as we're paying those prices here in Dublin.

And Jim,

quote:

What does Guinness taste like anyway?

What it tastes like now isn't how it use to taste like. When I turned 18 I started on the stuff. It was lovely then. It took sometime getting use to, heavy, rich, creamy and bitter all at the same time (I felt so sick after my first three, which gave my dad a good laugh).

Guinness today isn't great. They're chilling the beer too much. It's almost like ice! Horrible stuff. Stout shouldn't be served that cold. Where I grew up there is a pub which use to serve two types of Guinness - natural and cooled. The cooled (not iced) Guinness was beautiful, while natural was just that, Guinness served at room temperature. And that on a hot summers day was some getting use to.

You don't get Guinness like that anymore. Guinness has been 'designed' now to be served that this super-cold temp. - awful stuff! :mad: :mad:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi PH,

Ireland is the place for the good tasting Guinness these days.

I used to drink it years back but went off it,probably for same reasons as you. Then i had a chance of some fishing in Ireland the other year and friends had said how good the Guinness was over there and when we got there they were right. I drunk it all week :D . I was talking to one landlord and he said Barmen in Ireland have to train for 3-4 years before they are seen fit to be let loose on Guinness ,i think he was winding me up but anyway maybe it is down to care of Storing the barrels,temp etc or maybe it's the different water source at their brewery, or perhaps they are keeping the original recipe for them selves

After the weeks fishing when i was back here in England i had the taste for it again, so i popped in my local and i could only drink 1/4 of the pint ,a week later at another pub i tryed again and :mad: same thing. So now i wait for my next trip over there to Ireland=good fishing and good Guinness :) .Also it was alot cheaper to buy it there,( Pre Euro!)

[ 19. August 2002, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Richard Harvey ]

Use a Lure Instead !! ;)

Yes, Guinness is better in Ireland than the UK. In London, we use to have a good laugh at the 'Plastic Paddies' forcing the stuff down their troats, :D God love them.

But Guinness in Dublin is crap, and this has always been the case. Though Mulligans on Poolbeg St., has something close to what I would call a good pint. The barmen there probably did that 4 year college cource you were talking about.

For a good pint of Guinness the pipes (that's the tube connecting the the barrel to the taps via a cooler of cource) have to be cleaned regularly. Now this can be a bitch of a job if the barrels are some distance from the taps as is the case in most pubs in Dublin and in bigger bars around the country. And we all know barmen who will put off the dirty jobs as long as possible. You'll get the best Guinness where the barrel is under the counter in the bar - i.e. shorter pipes. My cousin has a pub in Cork and they still bring the barrels in to the bar and set them up underneath. Great beer, but it's a pain having to wheel-in the new barrels all the time.

Howard 13:

DanIts officially called the Rose & Crown but is known better as 'Elis'

As for Burrow Hill cider, yes I've tried and had my fair share.Agreed it is nice, I don't drink it these days although I do have a pint of the mulled stuff when I go to Glastonbury Festival.

Cheers.

HB.

Thats it, The Rose and Crown, havent been there for years since I used to work in Curry Rivel

Funnily enough I discovered Burrows Hill Cider at Glastonbury this year, first time there since 1983! Drank plenty of it with no ill affects! Previously used to drink Perrys from Dowlish Wake, or was it Dowlish Ford?

I should point out that I am not a Cider drinking alcholic but do like an occasional drink of the stuff from my home county!

Do you sea or river fish?

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

quote:

Do you sea or river fish?

River fish 90% of the time.This season on the River Parett, which I rate very highly.The last 3 seasons the River Stour, on the upper reaches around Sturminster Newton.

Have you fished the canal around Tiverton for the tench?

HB.

Mostly a sea fisherman, I like to eat what I catch! but I am interested in species hunting and those tench are calling! I have mate who fishes alot on the stour near Kings Mill, Marnhull.

I used to fish at Hammoon and on the Yeo (waste of time or it was then) but had most fun pulling trout out of little streams between Halstock and Rampisham, which brings me back to the thread cos they used to serve a lovely pint at the Tigers Head at Rampisham, anyone know if its still open?

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net