Pike Gags

Elton

I don't use gags anymore, falling into line with contemporary thinking. While definitely not arguing the case for them, I have at least thought a bit about them, lots of people have said bad things about them, specifically that they force a fish's mouth open unnaturally wide thus causing damage, but how do we know this? was/is there sound scientific evidence which proves this? and if so I would really like to see and read of it.

One item people use in their piking makes me just as uncomfortable, yet one hardly ever sees criticism of them, soft fine meshed large landing nets, the type used for carping. They are the single item which I have seen cause more damage to pike than any other. Once inside one a pike is liable to thrash around and often do a bit of a crocodile roll, resulting in the trace or lure hooks becoming soundly tangled in the mesh effectively trapping the fish. The only way to deal with this to untagle to lot, often with the pike expiring through suffocation or to cut the mesh away and ruining the net. I wouldn't use one to land a pike. We land our lure caught pike by hand. When fishing alone on my boat I carry a large savage gear rubberised net, but only use it on large fish that I don't feel strong enough to lift into the boat (falling in in winter would probably be the end of me). I set up the same net when shore dead baiting, but again would only use it on larger fish (doubles). On one of the waters I fish regularly carrying a landing net is manditory, I get around this by clipping a small 'scoop' net to my vest, only to be used if I hook a decent perch which happens fairly often when luring for pike, soft mouthed perch are liable to fall off if lifted straight out of the water.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Save the net use a gaff

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The point with gags imo is that one used on say 20lb'er then one used on 2lb'er

we know which pike might fare worse ?

As for nets I dont use one on pike for the very reason you describe. Even with all trebles out of sight it can be a bloody mess.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Save the net use a gaff

We used to, and properly done they can be returned safely afterwards.
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Not used a gag for decades but i thought the bar that holds them shut could be used to restrain the gap the gag opened to or were mine different ,it had (not sure where it is) grooves along both arms where the bar could rest

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The point with gags imo is that one used on say 20lb'er then one used on 2lb'er

we know which pike might fare worse ?

As for nets I dont use one on pike for the very reason you describe. Even with all trebles out of sight it can be a bloody mess.

Andy - I've got to assume then that you've never landed a large pike, or are you saying that you manhandle big fish, with the inherent problems and dangers that entails?

I'd agree with Emma's argument entirely re the mesh, but can see no problem whatsoever using an appropriate net for pike (I use either rubberised, or a large meshed version, according to circumstance) - and I would suggest that if you are intentionally fishing for pike without an appropriate, safe way to land them, you're simply asking for trouble ... which seems to be at odds with the person who is usually on here banging on about pike welfare, no?

Andy - I've got to assume then that you've never landed a large pike, or are you saying that you manhandle big fish, with the inherent problems and dangers that entails?

I'd agree with Emma's argument entirely re the mesh, but can see no problem whatsoever using an appropriate net for pike (I use either rubberised, or a large meshed version, according to circumstance) - and I would suggest that if you are intentionally fishing for pike without an appropriate, safe way to land them, you're simply asking for trouble ... which seems to be at odds with the person who is usually on here banging on about pike welfare, no?

well my biggest pike is 20 and had numerous doubles since then and ive always chinned them. Andy Macfarlane had chinned more 20+ pike than i ever have with no problems or manhandling so thats good enough for me.

Ive seen lots of different meshes (large mesh and rubber and both) in use and not a single one has been better than the other with regards to them twisting up. A mate had one roll up and nearly found itself dangling from the outside of this "pike safe" mesh.

The other thing is when they do twist up it can take longer than necessary to untangle their teeth and scissors just to get at hooks. If i had to buy a new net everytime id have to cut up one up to get a pike out of it id have to give up fishing for pike as it wouldnt be affordable.

Now if i ever found my self on chew for example id maybe consider one as back up but id still opt for chinning 100% of the time.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Just playing Devils Advocate here Andy, but when the day arises that you've got a loose treble flying about on the outside of a large hacked-off pike, what then? OK, granted, then a net WILL get snarled up, but better that than a perhaps serious injury and subsequent hospital visit, no? Not to mention the obvious dangers of trying to chin out a large fish from a boat, assuming you ever get into one?

• Like 1