interesting find

chesters1

my mrs used to collect stamps so tended to grab anything with stamps on if they were cheap at boot fairs .on sorting some out she found this intriguing envelope.

strange for a few reasons

note the envelope isnt addressed to a house in a road but an area ,either she was well known or the letter was hand delivered but then why the stamps?

now that surname IS famouse but not until decades later and its not her that famous as far as i know.going by the numbers 69 i presume it could be 1869 .

i know the famouse person in mind came from the area but was mrs oates famous for some other reason? and the later kin from a well known family of famouse people

now look at the seal was it the regent or perhaps a seal from a hotel or mens club?

unfortunately were not going to find why the contents have long gone but a pretty interesting find all the same

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I'm sure it is connected to Captain Oates's family chesters, they lived in a big estate (Meanwoodside), that's now Meanwood Park. They would just need to put 'Meanwoodside' on a letter to any of the family.

A couple of links that might help.

http://www.northleedslifegroup.com/2012/03/20/meanwood-remembers-captain-lawrence-oates/

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-465860-column-at-south-west-end-of-meanwood-par

Sorry, can't help with the seal. But maybe this is of interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regent_Hotel

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Meanwoodside was a large mansion owned by his grandfather, I doubt any further address was needed.

1869 is bang on for penny red stamps - they were in use from 1841-79

I'm sure it is connected to Captain Oates's family chesters, they lived in a big estate (Meanwoodside), that's now Meanwood Park. They would just need to put 'Meanwoodside' on a letter to any of the family.

A couple of links that might help.

http://www.northleedslifegroup.com/2012/03/20/meanwood-remembers-captain-lawrence-oates/

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-465860-column-at-south-west-end-of-meanwood-par

Sorry, can't help with the seal. But maybe this is of interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regent_Hotel

John.

Ah that explains the general address it was a house not a area.

Positive its oats as in the polar chaps family ,now to pin down the mrs and what she was up to at the time.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

It would be worth finding out more about the seal - if it is The Regent's it's likely worth a few bob.

Here's one from a predecessor - sold for £3000.00

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/18938/lot/47/

Not the same one as that one its earlier but perhaps its the same as victorias regent but was it albert ,history lesson on the menu!

The seal could be from the regent hotel in leamington ,it was given the right to use the prince of wales feathers after a visit from him ,not pinned down the exact date this happened though

Edited by chesters1

Cheers but being the unluckiest person on earth i doubt its worth anything ,if it were sent to captain oats in the 20th century it would be worth a little ,if the postmark was whitestar line considerably more

Blimey my brain must be dissolving ,i knew all this was familiar i have posted this before ,i wondered why i kept getting a sense of dejavue (sp?) ,i know the mrs memory is shot it seems mine is as well ,bugger

Anyway the crest isnt unfortunately randy old alberts personal.one the hotel was given the right to display it by another regent who went on to become george 4th so i presume it was used on stationary sent from the hotel as a norm.

Still theres no doubt over the person getting it mrs susan oats whose hubby laid out an american garden at her home but had died a few years before leaving her a widow.we can only speculate who sent it as i doubt any records survive of residents in the hotel on the particular day it was sent

Edited by chesters1