Which Center PIN ?

76jerry

I'm surprised no-one's suggested the AN pin. Are these still being made? I haven't heard from Andy in ages. If they are, I personally wouldn't look any further. I have a Sheffield and an AN pin, and the Sheffield has been relegated to the back on the cupboard since getting the AN pin. Lighter, lower start-up inertia, longer spinning time, not expensive, and customisable.

I too don't use the Okuma much since owning an AN pin.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I think it also depends on how you use a centrepin especially the way you retrieve line. For example to retrieve line quickly you would generally either bat the drum or use a finger to twirl the spool or a combination of both. If it is the former then the handles need to either be non existant or set well back from the outer edge of the spool. If it is the latter then you do not want the check mechanism exposed which could lacerate your finger.

How easy is it to remove the spool on the A N pin can you do this on the bankside easy ? Have no check on my current reel so that is not an issuse had a look at a Sheffield in my local tackle shop nice pice of kit not sure about the Silver colour. Handels looked to big and to close to the rim now all we got to do is see the RAW 11 in the flesh thanks for your advice chaps

You can choose whether or not to have handles with the AN pin.

To remove the spool you need a screwdriver or similar tool - if you own a swiss army knife, there'll be something on that.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The AN pin is a fine reel, beautifully made and put together entirely with screws so if anythng loosens you can just nip it up again or you want to take it apart and clean it you can strip it to its constituent parts, try that with a reel held together by rivets. Out of all of my reels it starts up easiest but there are two things I don't like about it, the handles are right on the drum edge and so clout my thumb when trotting. They can be removed but then my second dislike becomes apparent, there's nowhere to put your finger to retrieve which is ok if you’re just batting the float back but not so good if you're playing a decent fish.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

It just goes to show that the perfect reel does not exist as there are many different individual preferences. Looking at it objectively and solely from a user point of view, the most versatile reel that I have is a 4" Adcock Stanton inasmuch that it is free running, has a wide drum, a knurled rim with the handles set well back for batting, large finger holes in the front plate for twirling and I can reach the check knob with my finger but then again centrepins are not always measured by practicalities ;)

The AN pin is a fine reel, beautifully made and put together entirely with screws so if anythng loosens you can just nip it up again or you want to take it apart and clean it you can strip it to its constituent parts, try that with a reel held together by rivets. Out of all of my reels it starts up easiest but there are two things I don't like about it, the handles are right on the drum edge and so clout my thumb when trotting. They can be removed but then my second dislike becomes apparent, there's nowhere to put your finger to retrieve which is ok if you’re just batting the float back but not so good if you're playing a decent fish.

When you order one you can say if you want the handles or not, and if not they're substituted for finger hole things if requested. I'm not sure of there are photos anywhere of the various options? When I got mine it was one of the prototype reels, so it just had the handles, maybe yours was too.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

If you're still pondering the Sheffield, there is one just appeared on Ebay, Buy-It-Now for £80, which is probably less than you would pay if it went on a normal auction!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310621969685&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

not sure if the finger winders are a option on the general/retail reel ,it was for forum members who had pre-production reels ,but i guess if someone asks they might accommodate them. there was two designs i recall a loop and a set of luggs .

the luggs are a bit like these i was thinking of having on mine ,i mocked this up (see my photoshop skills) for a three lugg/handles option ,in the end i just had the standard double handles as it was getting close to a "AN" timsbury trip/fish in. and i wanted the reel in time for it.

tri-lugg.jpg

i am still considering getting some made up as a upgrade ,just need to get them colour matched to the reel ,bit tricky as mines milk chocolate brown (mud camouflage) and a new set of three handles.this would give the option of three handles set in a little or three luggs for twisling with .

The AN pin is a very nice reel .comes into its own on slow rivers being so free running and fast start up speed due too the light well balanced spools.

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Guest bbamboo

The AN pin is a good reel, its up there with the okumas for sure. Mine has the standard handles which are large and nr the drum edge which is a problem, the winding luggs would IMO improve the reel. How do those jugs fit on the reel chav ?

Never had a problem landing barbel and large chub on a pin without handles the benefits far out-way the disadvantages.

Edited by bbamboo