quivertipping for carp

moonlight angler

I'm sick of just sitting behind a bitealarm and waiting for that alarm.

I was thinking about quivertipping for the carp in my local lake.. the carp go to just over 10lb but i'm still cautious about quivertipping for them with bomb or feeder incase my rod gets pulled in .

just wondering if you lot have any advice on this or whther it is a bad idea to use the quivertip for carp of this size?

Speaking from (recent) bitter experience, quivertipping for carp is fine, AS LONG AS YOU USE A ****** BAITRUNNER :angry:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Guest tigger
I'm sick of just sitting behind a bitealarm and waiting for that alarm.

I was thinking about quivertipping for the carp in my local lake.. the carp go to just over 10lb but i'm still cautious about quivertipping for them with bomb or feeder incase my rod gets pulled in .

just wondering if you lot have any advice on this or whther it is a bad idea to use the quivertip for carp of this size?

I used to use a quivertip for Carp and it was fine. I used to love it when the tip rattled round and I felt a solid lump as I hooked the fish. I never had my rod pulled in as I was always sat next to it ready to strike. I would advise you to use only one rod if your going to use a quiver tip and don't ever leave your rod unattended or out of arms reach for any ammount of time as that's when you'll get your problems.

I've nothing against bolt rigs, baitrunners etc and I use them for all my Barbel fishing now as well as other bits and use them most of the time to be honest.

Edited by tigger

"Quiver tippiong" for carp with a method feeder is great fun! Im not the most experienced at this sort of fishing but it aint rocket science! Same as any other feeder fishing just make sure your casting is acurate.

Definately as Trig mentions just use the one rod and I always hold it as well as using a front rest.In fact I always hold the rod when using just one for any fishing. Just have to remember not to strike at all the little knocks just wait till the whole rod pulls round!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I know sportsman has had a bad experience with quivertipping, but I find it a fabulous way of catching the fish! I use a running method feeder (it looks like a tube of 'lead' with a spring wound round it) and fish using a "slider" rod rest fished parallel to the water. The better sliders have a rod stopper at the end. There is nothing like watching the fish nibbling on the feeder, and the absolute wrap round of the take. even if you haven't been giving the rod your full attention, the actual movement of the whole rod will definitely get your attention!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Don't get me wrong, I love quivertipping for carp, and still do it. The sight of the rod tip going round is great, just make sure that you are holding the other end.

When my rod went in (no sign of it by the way) I was sitting within a foot of it. It was so fast I missed it.

Getting a bit slow, it must be an age thing :rolleyes:

I have been thinking about it and I think that it was because I was fishing pretty close in in deepish water, so short line and an almost vertical pull bounced the butt out of it's rest.

Ho Hum, it was only the first time I used it :huh:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Guest tigger
Don't get me wrong, I love quivertipping for carp, and still do it. The sight of the rod tip going round is great, just make sure that you are holding the other end.

When my rod went in (no sign of it by the way) I was sitting within a foot of it. It was so fast I missed it.

Getting a bit slow, it must be an age thing :rolleyes:

I have been thinking about it and I think that it was because I was fishing pretty close in in deepish water, so short line and an almost vertical pull bounced the butt out of it's rest.

Ho Hum, it was only the first time I used it :huh:

You should have used some John Roberts butt gripps or some similar. ;)

Quivertipping for carp is great fun. Much better and more active than sitting in a bivvy watching telly.

In the winter when things are harder the very light bomb rod of 10/11ft is very good and the modern offerings will handle 10lb carp no problem.

I actually much preferred to use the swing tip for carp. Its so nice to see that slow long rise of the swing tip. I used to use ones I had made myself. Extra long and weighted on the end if it was windy.

I always used 2 rods with no problem. I was alert and beside my rods. On one rod (or sometimes both) I would have a soft bait and when I had a fish on the other I would strike the other rod hard which would dislodge the bait and just lay rod down with tip in water to keep line away.

It was actually also quite easy to wind the other rod in if I felt it necassary. You can wind it in whilst holding onto a carp on the other rod quite easily.

Good Luck

John

Quivertipping for carp is great fun. Much better and more active than sitting in a bivvy watching telly.

In the winter when things are harder the very light bomb rod of 10/11ft is very good and the modern offerings will handle 10lb carp no problem.

I actually much preferred to use the swing tip for carp. Its so nice to see that slow long rise of the swing tip. I used to use ones I had made myself. Extra long and weighted on the end if it was windy.

I always used 2 rods with no problem. I was alert and beside my rods. On one rod (or sometimes both) I would have a soft bait and when I had a fish on the other I would strike the other rod hard which would dislodge the bait and just lay rod down with tip in water to keep line away.

It was actually also quite easy to wind the other rod in if I felt it necassary. You can wind it in whilst holding onto a carp on the other rod quite easily.

Good Luck

John

I always quiver tip for carp, love it, much more interesting, and fun that bite alarms. I also find if you have a feeder on there you're probably in with a better chance too of catching. I've had well over 10lbs on the quiver, and either a method or shotgun feeder.

I always quiver tip for carp, love it, much more interesting, and fun that bite alarms. I also find if you have a feeder on there you're probably in with a better chance too of catching. I've had well over 10lbs on the quiver, and either a method or shotgun feeder.

and of course silent and less anti social!!!!! ;)

Quiver tip every time for me...that wrap around bite is so exhilarating !!!!!

:D