Internet connection advice.

Sportsman

Later this year we are going down to Spain to have a look around the area where we used to live in the 80s. We will rent a villa for a month or two.

During this time we have to keep the business running so will need a good internet connection.

We have found a villa that looks perfect for our needs, walled garden for the dogs etc. but the internet is described as mobile broadband.

In one of the pictures there is a router style piece of kit, small box with a couple of aerials, I assume to pick up a mobile / WiFi signal.

Now, being a bit behind the technological times, is anyone up to speed with this type of kit?

Is it likely that you would be able to connect a laptop wired/wireless? How reliable is this type of system?

A few years ago there were internet cafes everywhere but they are much less common now.

If you are interested here is a link to the pictures of the villa and the router thing is in the picture of the living room.

http://www.spanishsunshinebreaks.com/spain_villa_pictures.htm

Any suggestions welcomed.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the UK in decent signal areas a 3G mobile broadband connection can hit a good steady 4+ meg....much of the time it will average about 2, give or take.

It will greatly depend on what provision the local area has for 3G or 4g.

Regardless you can connect whatever you wish to it..it works exactly like a standard wireless router

The image is tough to see, it could be either a standard router or a mobile one.

Edited by kirisute

I presume a dongle costs a great deal less over there than here,my daughter had one and it was a rip off and mind bogglingly slow and she had a decent signal

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

That looks very nice Dave, and the Tous has some nice Black bass as well!

The router with the ariel are quite common, i have a similar one myself. The connection between your laptop/phone will be wireless to that obviously, you just need the password.

The connection via "mobile broadband" to the provider is not unusual in rural areas without fixed telephone lines.

I would get back to them to stress the importance of a good connection, most are reasonably good but........

I presume a dongle costs a great deal less over there than here,my daughter had one and it was a rip off and mind bogglingly slow and she had a decent signal

"Dongles" are quite expensive here generally.

Something in common then but i suspect i do not know by what you class as expensive?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hi Sportsman

Looks a nice villa, enjoy your stay, looks like a standard wireless router probably g (not much more than 20mb capacity) probably connected via telephone. Adsl most likely (not cable )if as in the uk adsl will most probably give 2mb to 8mb download maybe 750k upload, yes you can connect laptop wirelessly and it most probably has ethernet ports to connect hard wired.

All the best

Klaus

The pad looks a bit rough but once it rains and you put fish in that pond it will be better

Strange theres no mention of its services has electric arrived there yet ?

Gas mains or bottle ,same postman as back at home ,will your newspaper boy find it etc etc

Edited by chesters1

I am thinking of one of these

http://www.gobabymobile.com/products/internet/3g-mifi.html

Opinions sought.

Also. any recommendations for data sim cards to go in it.

Thanks

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/