Newt or anyone Sound Card Help!

Dan

little onions:

Sorry to interrupt, I've just really enjoyed your messages, but I'm about to grab my teddy and weep all night because as somebody really new to all this, I have no replies to any messages and therefore don'tknow if I'm pushing the right buttons.  Unspeakably sad for a woman of my standing.  Hayellp

Its the being there that matters! Im crying but for different reasons!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take it back and get one that likes your PC.

Life is way too short to let a computer get you upset.

98FE (first edition) is a great operating system. As is 95. But both are old enough that if you like the "latest & greatest" hardware and programs, you are going to run into this sort of thing more and more.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Dan,

Have you checked the windows volume control settings for playback? If not, do so... dead easy to do... double click the speaker in the system tray (near the clock on the start bar).

Failing that, are you trying to run audio from the CD-ROM to your sound card direct? If so, have you connected the audio I/O cable from CD to sound card? If not... that would probably help (LOL) ;-)

Cheers,

Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!

Thanks Guys, Ive done everything that youve recommended, still no joy, Hercules suggest one last fix, upgrading the software on my mother board for the chipset, saying something about 4 for one or something, so will try that otherwise its back to computerworld it goes!

I'll let you know if it works!

Dan

if you mean 4 in 1 then it IS a via chipset ,and if it is the mpv3? chipset YOU`L need LUCK to install any soundcard ,there is a problem with this chipsets pci bus controller(although via deny this) but search any forum

and the truth is revealed ,good luck :( you may get it to work and you may get it to work without crackles but its hard work :mad:

[ 26. September 2002, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The help desk chappie said it might be a via chipset, but how do i find out? The only good news is I bought the card because after a reformat I lost a few drivers for the on board sound and it wasnt working properly with the drivers I had downloaded, but in all my scrabbling about I've found the CD for the motherboard that came with the PC so I can at least get sound back if a little basic. Anyway so how do I find out what the chipset is?

Dan

go to the manufactureres web site look for your machine ,itl be under specs OR go to the driver downloads for your machine if it lists 4in1 then it is a via ,if there is a faq section read it (and forum) your problem may already have been solved :)

if the p.c. is more than 6 months old it may be under the discontinued or obselete section

[ 27. September 2002, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I've been to the www.pcchips.com website but only being half computer literate I couldnt make head or tail of what i wanted and dont want to download something that mucks up my usually stable system. There appears to be 2 bios updates for my motherboard, (m747 its about 4 years old!) and a load of stuff under sounds, couldnt find any faq's either... mutter mutter.... so may take card back or give them pc and say make it work! What I couldnt understand was that there were no conflicts and all devices were shown as working properly. Ive now unistalled the card and reinabled the on board sound but have lost the volume control in the bottom of the screen and the sound recorder still doesnt work, which is why i bought the card in the first place!

Dan :(

playing with flashing bios`s is not a good idea ,if your machine is from a manufacturer (dell or gateway etc) go to their site ,your pc model number will be on the machine somewhere ,if its from a small company that just essembles p.c`s from parts readily available then youve paid your money and lost your backup ,it could contain parts from anywhere (end of line motherboards etc) its why their cheaper :( and if its four years old its the equivilent of a dinosaur nowadays (technology in p.c`s doubles in speed and complexity every six months) :(

i bought a tv card for my old via chipsetted pc (one with dolby etc) it didnt work ,it said nothing on the box regarding chipsets ,luckily in VERY small print on the instructions it said it wasnt compatible with the via mvp3 chipset ,i got a full refund :(:)

[ 27. September 2002, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]