A special day?????

Gaz51

It's a strange system I agree Chesters1 but there are definately statuatory public holidays that employers are obliged to realise. Bearing in mind that Britain already have less than our European 'counterparts' then our government has to sort it out very shortly.

Yoxer, are you saying that you're now a cat made fat by British cream? Perhaps you've developed you're cynicism by landing on that potion of fate and found it all too easy? Good luck to you, I don't begrudge it. Just don't get silly and give it all up to the misguided. :)

Paul

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its getting progressingly faster and harder for everyone now , perhaps it has always has been that way, however there is little way for the youth of today to get sufficent capital behind them to compete in any sort of business venture if its not to be started with family assets.

nevermind all that - happy birthday Jeepster

all the best - Andy :)

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

yoxer - TANSTAAFL. Couldn't agree with you & Elton more.

And can't understand why the concept seems to escape so many folks.

[ 08. March 2004, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

How many days paid holiday does the American worker get? A lot less than us I'm led to believe!

We do an 8 hr shift with 3/4 breaks (paid).

If we work a bank holiday, we get an extra £25.00 and a day off in lieu. If we've already done 10 hrs overtime at time and a half, then we get double time. Most of them don't want to now about overtime. I think this working family tax credit has something to do with that.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Jim - depends completely on the company.

This is the list of holidays Federal Govt. workers get and it's pretty standard. Some do fewer. Some (not many) do more. If one of these falls on a weekend, a comp holiday the following Monday is used.

January 1 New Year's Day

January 20 Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.

February 17 Washington's Birthday

May 26 Memorial Day

July 4 Independence Day

September 1 Labor Day

October 13 Columbus Day

November 11 Veterans Day

November 27 Thanksgiving Day

December 25 Christmas Day

Breaks for an 8 hour work day are usually 2 plus lunch although the lunch time is added to the length of the day so that you work 8 hours minus the two 15 minute breaks.

Any extra for working holidays or overtime is again a matter for the individual company.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt, what about paid vacation other than State days?

I know you may have longer distances to travel to work over there, but when does the average American leave home in the morning. The father of a British chap, who left here and now lives in Chatanooga, told me that his son has left for work at 5am each morning.

He was a plumber here. Don't know what he does over there.

Early to bed and early to rise.....

Perhaps that is why Americans have more going for them, but I suspect that more working hours in the year has more to do with it!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

quote:

Breaks for an 8 hour work day are usually 2 plus lunch although the lunch time is added to the length of the day so that you work 8 hours minus the two 15 minute breaks.

Exactly the same as my company. However, my company only recognises 3 (three) public holidays and they wonder why we're all hacked off and couldn't give a stuff about the poxy outfit. I didn't watch it but funnily enough there was something on T.V. this morning calling for more holidays as it drastically improves productivity.

Paul