What is everyone up to at the moment?

Dales

I've been investigating the thermocline in more detail this weekend, although I've very busy as usual in the spring. My favourite biology textbook (Freshwater Biology by L.G. Willoughby of The Freshwater Biological Association) states "A pond rather than a lake will generally not be of sufficient depth for a fully stratified condition to develop, although some kind of of temperature discontinuity will often be encountered in summer."

This was published in 1976, whilst the scientific paper showing thermoclines do develop that I referred to in my last post was published just last year.

It seems as though I missed an interesting topic here on Angler's Net about the thermocline last spring due to pressure of work. It even mentions Richard Walker! See http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/4276787-cold-wind-and-strong-sun/page-5.

I'm just off to work round Wingham but will be having a proper look at this as soon as I've a free moment.

See what you've done now, Phone. You've got me investigating when I should be fishing! But thanks all the same - it's very interesting.

I can see some experiments taking place at Wingham before long.....

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net