closed face reels

John Weddup

ABU used to say those reels weren't 'closed face', because that term is for reels with a full cowling over the spool and one centrally-placed hole through which the line was threaded. I have a working 503 and a 505, which I still use for all my floatfishing. The advantage is definitely the one-touch line release: once the forefinger has pressed the release buton, it is perfectly placed to trap the line. These days I cast without having to think about the reel at all. Another advantage is that at the end of a session, the line can just be wound into the reel, where it will stay safely until next time, without the need for a line-clip or rubber band. Disadvantages are that the spools don't hold a lot of line, particularly if using a beaking strain of over about 4lb. The drag on the 503 is pre-set, and the star-drag on the 505 is nowhere near as good as most rear-drag modern reels. Both reels are so well made, they will probably outlive everything I've bought since. Both reels were perfect for teaching my two young daughters how to fish.

[ 30. September 2005, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Pangolin ]

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would nt be without my ancient Daiwa s

The ABU is less clunky but the Daiwa lets the line strip away without glitches. I agree with others about the backwind.

Even when absolutely knacked the Daiwa is still solid. The ABu when older either works or locks up. I suspect I reaaly must get some new replacements.

For any trotting work any closed face is THE only way to fish.

My only drawback with closed face is that if it has a drag on it ...it invariably doesnt work properly. But as I never use it there is no real problem for me.

"Muddlin' along"

Pangolin:

ABU used to say those reels weren't 'closed face', because that term is for reels with a full cowling over the spool and one centrally-placed hole through which the line was threaded.  

Yes I remember that - but cannot remember what term ABU used.

"Nominal aphasia" - the first signs , next I'll forget who Chesters is :D .

So tell me, what did ABU used to call them?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Peter Waller:

I have a sneaking suspicion that ABU coined the term 'open faced' for the 505 etc.

Nope, there was a definite name used, its on the tip of my tongue as the saying goes.

(stuck my tongue out at the mirror, but couldn't bear to look :D )

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

the dam quick cfm/ctm body rotates completly to

change winding direction abu made a few righthand

wind models notably the (origanal)508 which is a

bit larger like the 507's than the other abu 500

series,theres two on e-bay but they're not cheap

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve