Barbel Welfare

STEVE POPE

Weary-one:

Successive governments have recommended that people give up smoking, but there are still the stupid amongst us. Some anglers still use keepnets...

Well, I suppose smoking keepnets would be cheaper than smoking tobacco at UK prices.

Is it less likely to cause health issues?

On a slightly more serious note, please refrain from calling any group of anglers, "stupid". I'm not overly fond of editing threads but that sort of insulting remark will usually be deleted.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that people feel the need to attack others that don't conform to their own PERSONAL opinions? My opinion - for what it's worth - is that we are all anglers and we go fishing because we enjoy doing so. Whether that be river, lake or sea; Whether that be competing in a match, a spot of "mixed bagging" to see how many different species can be caught or specifically targeting one species; whether that be for a few hours after work, a "crack of dawn" session or a few days behind the rods in a bivvy. All of these I have done and enjoyed every bit of it (even in the rain or breaking the ice in the winter!). I don't profess to be an expert but I am happy with the way I fish. If others fish differently to me - fair enough. Providing, of course, that they are conscientious in the way they go about it and remember that others enjoy being out in the countryside as well as us anglers. Take your litter home, treat your catches well and be pleased for others that enjoy this sport - whatever aspect of it they participate in.

....Here's to swimming with bow-legged women....

Newt, If you read the post(?) where did I call any group of anglers 'stupid'?

Rest assured, you will have no need to edit any of my postings in future.

However, I can recall far worse insults being bannded about on A.N.

As for comments on fish welfare from anglers based in the U.S.A. ...

Education: Only those prepared to listen can be educated, Peter.

From reading some posts on the subject, (barbel welfare) it's as plain as a torn dorsal fin, some are just not prepared to listen.

Exellent document Steve, congratuations to the B.S. and all involved.

[ 24. August 2005, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Weary-one ]

Tight lines

John M

Guest rabbit

Cider Monkey

Well said, It's a pity some people don't always conform to these rules. But you have captured the real reason why we fish.

Cheers

Neil

Cidermonkey hits it on the head for me, I go fishing to get away from life for a while, enjoy my surroundings, look after what I catch, make sure it goes back quickly, and alive. I don't sack them, rarely photograph them and don't use a keepnet....oh yes, and usually enjoy a couple of cold ones....

don't really care what other people think, or do, as long as they look after the surroundings, and the fish - fine with me...

67? Barbel in a keepnet all night though?....nuff said!

tight lines

Andy

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

Fair point John, I do appreciate that if they don't want to listen no amount of talking will get through, but there is a lot of people who genuinely don't know what perhaps you & I take for granted & would like the guidance.

The alternative to education is banning & that is surely no way forward on the subject of keepnets.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.