Have I broken my Perch PB?

davedave

Evening all,

I've had a great weekend fishing two waters I've neglected for a while but should fish more often. I've had my first carp, bream and tench of the year all this weekend, and possibly broken my perch record by mistake.

018_zps4f844d17.jpg

016_zpsa889684c.jpg

014_zps482e7a4d.jpg

Today I fished a lovely water with a nice bed of lilies coming up in front of me.

IMG_0098_zps0ff6d470.jpg

I fished a waggler on bottom with redworm for bait, not fishing for anything in particular but I had a great morning catching perch and tench to about 10oz when at around midday I had a bite which felt like one of the few carp in the lake. It shot into the lilies and it all went solid, I gave it a minute then let some line off and began to pull for a break when it started to kick again. I was convinced it was a carp or even a tench but I couldn't believe it when I saw it was a perch. I slipped the net under it and placed him on the mat. I think I've broke my PB of 2lb 2oz but I had no scales so I'm not sure.

Todays fish:

IMG_0095_zpsf40847f8.jpg

IMG_0094_zps2c40c92f.jpg

My 2lb 2oz:

DSC00002_zps7cfb288b.jpg

What do you think?

I'm wondering whether to fish tomorrow or just to have a lie in and sort a few bits out.

Hope everyone had a good weekends fishing :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking nice fish, well done! The bottom perch looks a little fatter in the belly to me, but its really hard to judge. Regardless, good fish!

Cheers bud :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I would say, probably, yes. The bottom fish looks bigger, but measuring them both against the width of your unhooking mat, the one you had today is longer, and so probably weighs more.

Always carry scales!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

davedave,

Withouit a doubt the fish is large enough to weigh more that 2.2. However you did not break your PB without scales.

All,

Is there an accepted girth/length formula for perch in the UK?

Phone

Cheers anderoo, I am looking at buying a pair of scales, something I've never really carried.

Thanks phone, like you say i'll never truly know, I don't know of any such formula but there may be one.

Length /Weight Table for Perch - from the old Angling Gazette.

Of course girth plays a very big part - so these are only ever rough approximations.

Buy some scales!

Length/weight table for perch... inches/lbs&ounces

Perch
9 - 0lb 12oz
10 - 0lb 13¼oz
11 - 0lb 14¾oz
12 - 1lb 0oz
13 - 1lb 4¼oz
14 - 1lb 9¾oz
15 - 1lb 14½oz
16 - 2lb 5½oz
17 - 2lb 13¼oz
18 - 3lb 5½oz
19 - 3lb 15¼oz
20 - 4lb 9½oz
21 - 5lb 5¼oz

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Thanks Chris, I will look into buying a set of scales

I hate to be a spoilsport, but I'm with some of the others. Unless the fish is accurately weighed I don't feel it can count as a PB as you can't put a weight to it. What would happen if you now caught an even bigger one?

I'm sure that will happen soon as you've got all of the makings of a fine young angler. In fact, I'd be very surprised if you don't get PBs of several species in the next few years!

BTW, I'm not being patronising, just stating a fact.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Yes your right steve, as I don't know for sure I suppose I have to count it as unknown. Hopefully soon i'll get one bigger and weigh it so i'll know for sure.

Thanks Steve, appreciated.