Clutch Setting

leedsunited

How do you know when you have set the clutch just right ? :confused:

Is there any ways of knowing that it is at the right setting for the type of fishing you are doing :confused:

And when playing a fish , if you have the right clutch setting , when should it give line and when shouldn't it :confused:

Thank you :D

[ 12. February 2005, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: leedsunited ]

I think the answer to this is experience, The advice my old man gave to me was to set the clutch to what I thought It should be but to also leave the antireverse off. so that if you do have the clutch setting to tight then at least you can still backwind. This way you get to know how your reel behaves, You can also move the clutch while playing the fish to get it just right ready for the next one without fear of losing it. But like I said different circumstances require different clutch settings. If you are fishing open water then you can have the setting fairly loose so you dont have to wory about hook pulls. on the other hand if you were fishing next to snags you would probably have to tighten the clutch right up.

Im sure other people here will have different advice too!!

Effort equals reward!!

the best way to set the clutch/drag on a reel you have

to Set the drag at 20-25% of the b/s of the line, so with 6lb line set the drag to 1.25-1.5lb. To set precisely, put the weight required in a carrier bag, and water in plastic bags is perfect, as you know that 1pt weighs 1.25lb, 1 litre weighs 2.2lb, you can take it from there. Thread the line through the guides, screw the drag tight, tie the bag to the line and lift from the ground. Once suspended, reduce the drag until it starts to yield line, then tighten slowly until it JUST clicks once. You can then be entirely confident that it is impossible to be broken by a fish. You will need to pump and wind when playing fish, to ensure you don't wind against the drag, and to exert pressure to net the fish, simply put your second finger against the spool lightly. That will almost double the pressure.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Hi Leeds. When you set up your tackle, adjust the drag so that you can pull line off without too much effort. Once you have started fishing, adjust the drag so that line pulls off the reel when whatever is on the other end pulls your rod round to about 90 degrees. If fishing with a mate, get the your mate to pull the end.

That is a good starting point. From here on it is, as Anthony said, experience. Fiddle with it until it feels right.

Pete

Im not to keen on setting up the drag to match the line your using, this only protects you against your line giving way, not the fish giving way, set the clutch to hard and a lip tear is very often the result, particularly on the first contact and last second lunges with the fish, personaly i like to have the clutch set very light and adjust as the playing of the fish progreses, again as you get to know your reel this becomes second nature.

Smelly nets.

Canon S3 IS

Samsung S500

HOBGOBLIN

mailto:grahamnoone@hotmail.com

您在来信中写道

chavender:

Once suspended, reduce the drag until it starts to yield line, then tighten slowly until it JUST clicks once. You can then be entirely confident that it is impossible to be broken by a fish.

a fantastic tip chav m8 and altough i would have been inclined to say that experiance was one of the best ways to know how to set the clutch, i must try that trick before my next session.

When you need to set your drag to the lines extreme limits ie when after really big fish.The best way Ive found is to get some one to pull on the end of the line of a rigged up outfit.With the bend of the rod and the anglers own limitations comming into play here you get a far better adjustment than if you guesstimate by pulling the line directly off the reel.Very difficult for anyone to pull much harder than around 11lb with any rod with one hand on the rod and one on the reel.Dont believe me? then go and try it!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I like Chavender's method of setting drag. However, he mentions 'pump and wind' as a technique when playing fish. It's just a thought, but unless you're really careful, you can end up with a bad case of wind knots doing that. I can understand that when hauling large fish from the depths of the sea it is THE technique, but with smaller fish, I'd argue it's relevance.

I tend to set the drag very loose and tighten as I am playing the fish. For that reason, I prefer rear drag on my reels. I find it very hard to adjust a front drag reel when playing fish.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

BUDGIE:

"Bump and grind" now were really talking :D Oh sorry :o "Pump and wind"! :D

And you thought I had issues! :D:D:D

I understand the pump and wind concept, but with fine line and small fish, doesn't it attract wind knots?

I am sure that's what caused them for me.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine