What a joke

Howard 13

I've just moved into a new house and last night set up my computer. Now my new connection to the net is an amazingly low 28,000 - 29,333 bps!

My old house 2 miles away was 48 - 51,666, I had BT here most of yesterday renewing this and that so I was not expecting it to be this bad.

I'm going to ring BT at 9 to tell them to increase the gain. Does anyone know which department I need to ring?

If they can't improve the situation I think I'm going to get shot of the landline as I really only use it for the net anyway and this is hopeless.

Unfortunately broadband around here is just something you can read about. :(

Cheers.

HB.

Forget about asking BT to turn up the gain. They seem to have sent all their operators on an intensive training course in ways of making it so difficult for you that you'll just give up in frustration.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

In order for speed comparisons among us here to make sense, they need to be done at about the same time. Otherwise you can be fooled by high/low overall traffic levels in your area.

And even better is to do it over several days.

That being said, using the above site at 14:00 US (19:00 UK) I got 236Kbps to the UK and 285Kbps within the US so Gray is still ahead.

I was faster at one time with cable broadband but too many service breaks so switched over to ADSL which is a little slower (since I won't pay for the highest speed) but is plenty fast for my needs.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Well, now my phone line is making all sorts of strange noise and sometimes when I try to connect I get an error message '666 no modem or modem is not plugged in' so I have to do a shutdown then when it does connect its down to 21,666!

Am I right in thinking BT guarantee a minimum of 28,000?

Didn't ring them in the end today as I was too busy, but I will definately tomorrow.

HB.